To those of you who have problems with neighbor's dogs and you flock,

You know , I agree with you disagreeing with me.

*I* would catch a dog. Been around them my whole life, worked for a vet for years, . I was always the one to handle the UGLY mean ones.
I guess I would not recommend anyone going trying to catch a strange dog. Guess I didnt think that one through , for other ppl . My apologies.

I really like the paintball idea. My mother who lives next door and I (both dog lovers 5 between the 2 of us) have had problems with neighbor across from me letting his dogs run free from tiem to time. The dog will run thru my mothers garden, but has yet to bothe rmy chickens. I informed him that the first time either of his dogs bothered my chickens I would file a formal complaint with the local sheriff. After that it would be shoot on site if it bothered my chickens again. He understood. He being a renter from my uncle didn't hurt my argument either. The only problems I have had so far with my chickens was a cat. It attacked my chicks in the coop one nite. 5 nites later it was in my live trap. SSS! I talked to the only person in the area who had cats that ran loose. He said for me to take whatever measures I needed to protect my flock. Wonder what a cat owner would do it a cat came home hit by a paint ball gun?
lau.gif

I too lost birds this past week to a dog. Dog was culled, and for those of you who prefer the humane society, they are so full of dogs they cannot feed them at times. And end up putting them down eventually anyway. Here if they are there after just one week, most of them are put down. Many of the dogs are black bigger dogs or Pit Bulls, almost impossible to adopt out. I don't believe in giving a problem animal to someone else, once a dog kills, it often keeps killing. I just can't stand the thought of a dog attacking a child. There are too many good dogs to allow a chicken killing dog to live. JMHO. And, I HAVE To add for those bleeding hearts, chickens may not be the smartest animals, BUT they do feel pain and they are terrorized by mauling dogs, and three of my 4 week old chicks suffered for a while before I found them half dead. The "It's Just a Chicken" pi#@@#es me off. Well, it's just a dog too.

Be warned. Shooting an animal with a paintball gun will be considered animal cruelty in a lot of jurisdictions. It sounds great until you are the one in legal trouble.

I will let some dogs slide. We've had strays wander through the yard all nervous and scared. They are hurried on their way and don't harm anything. Any that are aggressive or harassing livestock or pets are summarily dealt with.

Laws regarding harming of livestock are pretty cut and dried as compared to the harming of pets. It is always in your best interest to portray chicken losses as livestock losses rather than pets.

I live on a busy highway that does a pretty good job of dealing with strays. If I see one wandering down the road within in a week WHAMMO! end of Fido.

Several years ago I warned me idiot neighbor if I saw his dogs on my property again he'd never see them again. He didn't beleive me. I set up an ambush. A couple days later when I saw him let them out to roam at the usual time I waited until they were out of his sight where he was sitting on his porch smoking pot. Then I turned on my stereo with two big speakers set out on my second story deck then played the sound effect my freind made for me. Three rapid shots then a dog screaming horribly.

The neighbor jumped off his porch and ran up the road shouting for his dogs, who never come wiehn they are called. He ran to my gate and was yelling hysterically. Funny thing was his dogs were atracted by his shreiking, but worried so they slunk up onto his porch without him seeing them.

I just went in the ouse and closed my door. I didn't see them loose again for almost a year. Someone caught two of them that time and he had to pay a small fortune to get them back from animal control and license all 5. One or two of them get out occasionally, but not for long.

Quote:
Hilarious!!! That is a good idea.

I agree with a previous poster, I do think that by 'tagging' a dog with a paintball gun, you could be nailed with animal cruelty.

Back
Top Bottom