Tomaru Longcrowers...

He's just teasing you, Wynette-he knows you're waiting impatiently for that first, long crow.
big_smile.png

What a great gift!!
thumbsup.gif

They are beautiful and I like the idea of them being chatty,. I have only heard of them and know little,. they sure look pretty iin the pics you have ,..bet they look better in sunlight. How big do they get?

Quote:
Yes, I am so blessed to have friends that understand my love of chickens!

I belive the cock birds are 6# or a bit larger at full growth. My guy feels very light to me, but I have not weighed him or either of his girls yet. Need to do that...but...it's COLD around here now! I'll wait another month or so & then get weights on them.

Yeah, there are many videos on YouTube - I can only HOPE that my boy will crow a fraction as long as some of them! How FUN, eh?

Tomaru 唐丸

The Tomaru 唐丸 is a breed of long crowing chicken said to have originated in China during the T'ang Dynasty, 618-907 AD. The first kanji character in its name, 唐 Tou, is the Japanese term for the Chinese T'ang Dynasty. It was refined in Japan and today is accepted as a Japanese breed. It appears in a single variety with black plumage and is best known for its exceptionally long, musical crow, which can be sustained for up to 25 seconds. This is the baritone of the Japanese Long Crowers.

British TOMARU Standard
(taken from the Japanese)

Origin: Japan

Classification: Light Rare

Egg Colour: Tinted

General characteristics: male

Carriage: Upright, bold and active

Type: Body large, deep and compact, full breast but rather cut away at front, back long slopping down to tail, wings rather long carried close to the body, tail large moderately long, carried low but above horizontal, with the main and lesser sickles sometimes touching the ground.

Head: Medium size, beak short, stout and slightly curved, eyes large, bright and prominent, comb single medium size and straight, face smooth sometimes with black markings, ear-lobes and wattles of medium size.

Neck: Moderately long and furnished with full hackle.

Leg and feet: Legs medium to long, shanks fine and free of feathers, toes four, well spread.

General characteristics: female

The general characteristics are similar to that of the male, allowing for the natural sexual differences.

Colour

Male/Female plumage: Pure black with green sheen. In both sexes: beak black or horn, eyes orange/red, face, comb and earlobes red with some black shading. All black face allowable in hens. Legs and feet very dark slate.

Weights

Male: 3 – 3.2kg

Female: 2 – 2.7kg

Above information from Ultimate Fowl

(not my birds)
Chris

Did you look on feathersite? They have some info there, I think.
I got some as substitutes last spring from Sand Hill Preservation. I didn't want them, but a chicken obsessed acquaintance took them off my hands to anger his neighbor who moved in long after the birds and complains all of the time about the crowing. Now they will have something to complain about.
gig.gif
Anyway, there is info out there, you just have to keep searching.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom