Too much rain in New England and muddy pens!

The only advise I can offer is that sand seems to work where I live. Yes, I am in Florida. We can even go through a hurricane and after a few days it is dried up like it never rainned. Sure for the few days I am a bit stinky, but soon as the water is gone I throw some hay or pine shavings down and all is better again.
smile.png

Ugh, this rain is out of control. Yesterday I stepped on the paver outside the door to the run and heard a big squish sound. It sunk and my foot got soaked! Our run is pavers over a deep layer of QP or what ever the stuff is called. Otherwise the birds would be living is a lake 1/2 of the year, this year I would call it more of an ocean
roll.png

:clapCall a local tree service and ask them where they dump the chipped & shredded tree bits from their business- most often than not it's free. And, sometimes they will even deliver it to you-keeps them from having to take it to a land fill. Oh, it smells good too!

My runs are all slimey mud and STINK!! Today is honestly the first time I've questioned my decision to raise chickens. The smell is horrible. Until the rain quits I can't even get outside and try to solve the problem. Flies are starting to be an issue also.

I feel your pain We got 2 inches of rain followed by 3 inches for rain the next night (preceeded by weeks of light rain and 97% humidity) here in northern CT.

Overall my coop run is fairly dry because it is covered and the higest point of the yard (we aslo have clay)

Perhaps setting up a large tarp over the run for a few weeks. it should be damp but hopefully not muddy.

If this rain doesnt stop im gonna have to get ducks
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom