Top 5 Backyard Chicken Breeds

This list certainly isn't about quality bred chickens. It is just generally what is popular based on what people call their chicens. The Ameraucana and "Easter Egger" discussion seems to go on all the time. I always put "Easter Egger" in quote to denote that it is a nickname and not a breed name. Some even call chickens that look like Araucanas as "Easter Eggers."

I think for the purposes of this "popularity list" that "Easter Egger" deserves a spot because so many people claim to have "Easter Eggers."

Almost any list based on opinion will generate debate, because there is one thing in this world that is true, and that is that everyone has an opinion.
smile.png

So, is this a pretty good list of the most popular breeds for small flocks?

1. Plymouth Rock

2. Rhode Island Red

3. "Easter Egger"

4. Australorp

5. Leghorn

6. Orpington

7. New Hampshire

8. Wyandotte

9. Welsummer

10. Cochin

11. Old English Game Bantam

12. Silkies

In my area here in n.Al, I would say the hybrid production red/hatchery rir, Barred rock and Orpingtons. I would also say almost all are from hatcheries and would be a cross breed for most, so, I think it was a good idea when you said what people call their chickens. Orps are very popular here, but most want the best layers, so they opt for the production type birds.

So, should Red Sex-Link (Red Star, Golden Comet) and Black Sex-Link (Black Star) be added to the list? I think the Red Sex-Link is more popular, right?

Where would these hybrids go on the list?

I love my Jerseys. 6 girls and a roo, and another roo next door that was from my hatch. Calm, layback, friendly, mine love to hang out with me. The roos behave. My Buff Orpington layed the most eggs, but my Jerseys were right behind her, and lay huge eggs.

Throwing my 2 cents in here.
During chick days at the local Tractor Supply, I'd say 50% of what they offer are production red sex links. But this is in the outskirts of Lexington, KY. The rest is 30% barred rock , 10% EEs, the rest are broilers.

Jersey giants are making a serious comeback!

Easy to raise because they are so calm and the eggs are huge and yummy!!

I know all the breeders near me sell out every time they have eggs!!

Just my 3 cents worth in support of the superlative giant chicken!!

Viva Pollo Grande!!

Great info.. Thank You. Quick question. What kind of rooster is that in your profile pic? Very pretty... I mean handsome.
D.gif

I can tell you what is in every feed/farm store shipment from the hatcheries around my area, both from Privett and Ideal:

Barred Plymouth Rocks, sometimes white Rocks
Wyandottes, usually the Silver Laced, sometimes the Golden Laced
Buff Orpingtons
Rhode Island Reds and/or Production Reds-Ideal sells them both.
Easter Eggers, though they invariably have Ameraucana/Americana/Araucana on the label, none of which those chicks in the brooder are.

Sexlinks are always offered, though they are a hybrid, not a breed, per se, and I have never bought one and don't intend to do so.

I have NEVER seen a Jersey Giant offered at any feed store shipment around these parts. I would never put them on the list as one of the top five, though they are probably fine birds.

I have had hatchery stock in the Rocks, Orps, RIRs and Wyandottes. Lost most of those to internal laying. I have also been fortunate to have had good quality breeder stock in all of those as well and there truly is NO comparison, as Walt was saying. The personalities, the body types, the color, etc, were different as night and day, except maybe the Rock hens. All mine from both hatchery and breeder were very friendly, sweet tempered birds and good layers.

Last edited:
Great info.. Thank You. Quick question. What kind of rooster is that in your profile pic? Very pretty... I mean handsome.
D.gif

That is a picture I found on the Internet. It is a Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn. Some people on this website have said it looks like an Australian or English strain because it has a larger body than the American strain.

I think the Light Brown Leghorn rooster is one of the best looking roosters.

Back
Top Bottom