Top Soil for a dust bath?

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
I read on several online searches that top soil or peat moss are really great for dust bath. I just purchased a ton of top soil to use but now I'm reading conflicting information? Is top soil okay for a dust bath? It's very light and fluffy. I also happen to have a big bag of sand that I use for the poop board that I can use instead. I had used that before, but they didn't touch it...they preferred to dig up their own dirt from the ground in their covered run. However.....I started the deep litter method in the run this fall and now it's a challenge for them to get to the dirt. So, I'm adding a dust bath to the run in a round litter box, instead (I hope to free range them some in the spring, if I get up the courage). I don't really have anywhere that I can dig dirt up from in my yard (all the dirt we have is under the deep bedding. So, in short, is the top soil that I purchased, okay? Attached is what I purchased. Or should I try the sand again?

Attachments

• topsoil.jpg
    topsoil.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 75
If they like it, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. The only thing like this I avoid is anything treated with pesticides/herbicides or anything dyed (like colored mulch). I bought a bale of peat moss this summer (after someone on here suggested it) and my hens love to roll in it. They won't touch any kind of sand. But they still prefer to find their own bare patch of dirt in the yard or garden for their dust baths. Silly chickens.

I'd use it. If you find they don't like it, maybe dig a small part of your run back down to dirt and put a wooden frame around it (to keep it from filling back in with your deep bedding) and let them have at it. That's what we did, and then we also used a couple pallets and some fiberglass roofing and tin to put a roof and sides over it to keep it dry in rainy/snowy weather... The girls love it!
IMG_20221206_122634424_HDR.jpg

Need a photo of the back of the bag, or take a look yourself. You're looking for the "ingredient" list. If it's just dirt and peat moss, you're fine. If you see fertilizers, perlite, etc added in, personally I would not use it. If I had to buy top soil for chickens I'd aim for the the rock bottom cheapest stuff, that's top soil and nothing else.

I'm sure it's fine. "Topsoil" is basically just a blend of native dirt and some organic material, usually compost or peat - basically the same thing as what many chicken runs have on the ground from bedding + native dirt + chicken activity. I have a boat filled with dust bath, but they don't always use it. Seems they prefer just to dig a hole wherever there's a spot that the sun is hitting

My chickens do dust baths everywhere the think may have dirt. Topsoil has many microorganisms and so it accomplishes the task of getting those into their skin. It’s a great idea and cheap. Also, in time, with their poop and turning- it should turn into nice soil.

I'd use it. If you find they don't like it, maybe dig a small part of your run back down to dirt and put a wooden frame around it (to keep it from filling back in with your deep bedding) and let them have at it. That's what we did, and then we also used a couple pallets and some fiberglass roofing and tin to put a roof and sides over it to keep it dry in rainy/snowy weather... The girls love it!View attachment 3342405

Nicely done. I linked your pic to my thread on pallet projects. Hope it inspires some others.

"Topsoil" is basically just a blend of native dirt and some organic material, usually compost or peat - basically the same thing as what many chicken runs have on the ground from bedding + native dirt + chicken activity. I have a boat filled with dust bath, but they don't always use it. Seems they prefer just to dig a hole wherever there's a spot that the sun is hitting

+1.

My chickens seem to dig a hole in the chicken run compost wherever they want. I tried providing separate dust bath bins for them, but they dig a hole where they want, when they want. I suggest you use your topsoil in a dust bath bin and if the chickens go elsewhere, don't sweat it.

Thanks everyone! I decided to put it out there yesterday. It's in a bigger sized round litter box. I will need to do something bigger/better later as spring nears (my hope is to come up with some sort of "free range" scenario - more like a very large extended run that doesn't have a top (more like a fenced area), attached to the run they have now. The run they have now is very secure enclosure with a top. That way I can let them run out during the day time and find their own dust bath as well. Just scared to death of hawks, etc. so I'm still weighing options on that (our back yard if is wooded, which worries me too). Need to do more research on that end, once we are ready. Anyhow - I did put that top soil out and the 4 ladies seem to be very entertained. They aren't bathing in it yet but they all like to stand around it and peck at it. They were huddled in there this morning when I woke up -def sparking their interest. They did kick a lot out, so I probably will have to refill it often

Back
Top Bottom