Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

A 500ml bottle of Valbazen is more expensive than the 125ml bottle of Safeguard, but it's much less expensive in the long run.

-Kathy

Quote:
I know they're both effective when the correct doses are given, but I was more interested in the cost of one vs the other when it comes to treating something like cecal worms or capillary worms.

-Kathy

Last edited:
It'll be Valbazen for one day vs Safeguard for 1, 3 and 5 days and will include cost per dose, efficacy, etc.

-Kathy

Gotcha. Some Albendazole tabs, like those manufactured by Aranda labs, are dosed 2 days in a row. I never used Valbazen suspension more than once, and again 10 days after. I could never find simple information other than a few trials with dosage requirements with the efficacy of Albendazole. That's why it pays to be a good mathematician, lol:
http://japr.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/392.full.pdf

Quote: "For albendazole given at the rates of 5.0, 10.0, and 20.0 mg/kg, respective anthelmintic efficacies based on geometric means were 87.7, 91.2, and 98.2% (A. galli larvae); 100.0, 100.0, and 100.0% (A. galli adults); 96.9, 95.7, and 98.9% (H. gallinarum larvae); 92.7, 95.4, and 94.9% (H. gallinarum adults); 90.3, 91.3, and 95.1% (C. obsignata larvae and adults combined); and 73.1, 73.1, and 96.2% (R. cesticillus)."

I bet if albendazole was given at 0.08ml per pound several days in a row, or at a higher dose, that most of those numbers would be much closer to 100%.

-Kathy

Edited to correct Valbazen dose.

Last edited:
Hey guys...
...over here !!!:frow

I used SafeGuard 0.25ml to 0.5ml for my silkies and
3ml and 3.5ml for my goose and gander, respectively.
But I only do it once, with a repeat in 2 weeks.
Does that sound fine? I'm gunning for the round suckers!
Thanks !!!

-kim-

Hey guys...
...over here !!!
frow.gif

I used SafeGuard 0.25ml to 0.5ml for my silkies and
3ml and 3.5ml for my goose and gander, respectively.
But I only do it once, with a repeat in 2 weeks.
Does that sound fine? I'm gunning for the round suckers!
Thanks !!!

-kim-
Depends on how much they weigh and what worms you want to treat for. A single day dose of Safeguard will *not* treat Capillary worms.

Most effective single day dose of Safeguard for cecal worms and roundworms is 0.23ml per pound and repeat in ten days. For capillary worms, it's the same amount, but for five consecutive days. Make sense?

Geese can get gizzard worms, and I have no idea how one treats those.

-Kathy

Last edited:
This is what I give mine for either one day or five:

OEGB - 0.25ml
Cochin Bantam - 0.5ml
Six month old peacock - 1.25ml
RIR hen - 1.5ml
Jersey Giant hen - 2.25ml
Peahen - 2ml
Peacock - 3ml
Huge turkey - 7.5ml
Heritage turkey - 3.5ml
Muscovy drake - 3.25ml
Muscovy hen - 1.6ml
Big Gander - 7ml

-Kathy

FWIW, when I do a single day dose I repeat in ten days, not two weeks.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom