Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

You sure? This is the roundworm life cycle in sheep, but still the infective stage lives in the poop and moves out into the world.... I'd assume eating effected poop would give most things round worms. And I'd think that it would apply to worm larva in chicken poop too...
idunno.gif

1. Mature roundworms in small intestine.
2. Adult lays eggs.
3. Eggs in feces.
4. Larvae develop inside eggs.
5a. Dog ingests infective eggs.
5b. In pregnant dog, larvae may pass to fetus. Larvae migrate up trachea, are swallowed, and mature in pup's small intestine.
Look up toxocara canis vs ascarida galli. People *can* get dog roundworms
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I just found this:
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2647&Itemid=2923

ASCARIDIA spp, parasitic roundworms of POULTRY. Biology, prevention and control. Chicken ascaridiasis. Ascaridia galli, Ascaridia columbae, Ascaridia dissimilis
Ascaridia
is a genus of parasitic roundworms belonging to the ascarids that infects chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, grouse, quails, pheasants, guinea fowls and other domestic and wild birds. They occur worldwide and are very common in chicken. Several studies report incidences of up to 90% in various countries. It is much more abundant in traditional
AscGalViv.jpg
farming with outdoor run than in industrial production facilities.

The most relevant species for domestic birds are:
  • Ascaridia galli infects mainly chicken, but also turkey, geese, guinea fowls, etc.
  • Ascaridia dissimilis infects mainly turkey.
  • Ascaridia columbae infects mainly pigeons in Africa.
These worms do not affect dogs, cats, cattle sheep, goats or swine.
Other ascarids of veterinary importance are Ascaris suum in swine, Toxocara vitulorum incattle, Toxocara canis in dogs, and Toxocara cati in cats.
The disease caused by Ascaridia worms is called ascaridiasis.
Are birds infected with Ascaridia worms contagious for humans?

• NO: The reason is that these worms are not human parasites.

Last edited:
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2591&Itemid=2873

The DOG ROUNDWORM, TOXOCARA CANIS, parasite of DOGS and other CANIDS. Biology, prevention and control

Toxocara canis
, also called the dog roundworm, is a parasitic nematode very common in dogs and other canids (e.g. foxes, coyotes, wolves). It can also infect humans.

Toxocara canis is not a bloodsucking worm. Depending on its developmental stage and location it feeds on body fluids of the host or on the intestinal content in its gut.
Toxocara%20canis%20adultst.jpg
Toxocara canis
is found worldwide. Eggs and larvae of Toxocara canis can survive for months and even years in the environment (see life cycle below). Therefore it must be assumed that most places regularly visited by dogs (gardens, parks, playgrounds, etc.) are more or less contaminated.

The disease caused by Toxocara canis is called toxocariasis. Toxocara cati, a related species infects cats; and Toxocara vitulorum infects cattle. All belong to a group of roundworms called ascarids (maw worms), together with other parasitic worms of veterinary importance, e.g. Ascaris suum and Toxascaris leonina.
Toxocara canis does not affect cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry and other livestock.
Are dogs infected with Toxocara canis contagious for humans?

• YES. If humans ingest eggs of Toxocara canis shed with the feces they can become infected as well. This can happen through direct or indirect contact with the droppings of infected dogs, but also indirectly through eggs in their hair coat. For additional information read the chapter on the life cycle below.
You can find additional information in this site on the general biology of parasitic worms and/or roundworms.

Last edited:
Thank you for that Kathy
I figured you'd know, had to ask and make sure though... Learned a little more than I wanted too (yuck to worms migrating through lungs)
Makes sense now.

Last edited:
Thanks you so much for that info! I never would have imagined round worms in poultry are different than in dogs. I'm constantly chasing my two dogs away from chicken poop, you'd think it's caviar!
So safeguard is the same as panacur? Isn't panacur prescription only?

I think I read that you only worm once. How long after worming do I need to discard the eggs? 2 weeks?

Thanks so much for all the helpful information!

Thanks you so much for that info! I never would have imagined round worms in poultry are different than in dogs. I'm constantly chasing my two dogs away from chicken poop, you'd think it's caviar!

I think I read that you only worm once. How long after worming do I need to discard the eggs? 2 weeks?

I'm fairly certain you can get panacur horse paste from local feed stores. It's a big syringe tube thingy, I think.

I'm unusure on Panacur dosing, but how often you treat and how much you treat with depends on what you're treating for. :) Sometimes, for example, tapeworms need a little more tough love than roundworms do.

MrsB

Safeguard and Panacur are both 10% fenbendazol,e and the liquid and paste for livestock can be purchased without a prescription, but for some stupid reason, the exact same stuff that's sold for dogs and cats is prescription only.
he.gif

Worming once will only treat roundworms and cecal worms if you give enough, but it will not treat capillary worms or gapeworms. To treat those I give 0.23ml per pound for five consecutive days.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom