Toulouse Geese Thread

Hey everyone. I have seven geese and I'm still unsure if I have two or three ganders and the other's geese???

One bird hisses every now and then, but not very often. I was told only ganders hiss, is that always true? I have seen this same bird get in a fight with another gander and I've seen him mount a female. I assumed 100% gander.

Now this same bird is building a nest, setting on the nest and acting generally like a girl? (No one is broody right now, they just seem protective of their nests, this one will leave the nest) He/she has always been more subdued and very rarely aggressive and hardly ever hisses like a male.

So do I have a goose, a gander, or a gender confused bird?

All geese will hiss if you upset them, regardless of sex.

The fighting/mounting behavior sounds gander, but, mind you, my girls will mount each other too. If it's a hen, she may have just really disliked what that gander was up to, to start a fight with him.

The only way you can tell for sure is if it's a hen and she lays an egg...Or if you vent sex and see a penis. The sitting is quite lady-goose-ish, so I'm going to say watch for an egg!

Also, if the goose is sexually mature, at this time of year, there are general differences in appearance. Female's undercarriages hang a little lower. They have a little pouch for their reproductive organs. Compare this goose's abdomen to your lady geese. Males also have thicker necks, and generally like to stand between you (or any other perceived threat) and their hens.

Last edited:
Okay thx are there white Toulouse too I know she has white geese too but there not the white Chinese I get the pilgrim geese and the Toulouse confused

Very cute goslings. The one does look like a Toulouse. I do not think there are white Toulouse. In the Pilgrim breed the males would be white and the females look kinda like the one on the left.
Does the lady have only one breed or several breeds. They could be mixed.
Maybe someone else will have a better answer.
@Miss Lydia. @servpolice

Very cute goslings. The one does look like a Toulouse. I do not think there are white Toulouse. In the Pilgrim breed the males would be white and the females look kinda like the one on the left.
Does the lady have only one breed or several breeds. They could be mixed.
Maybe someone else will have a better answer.
@Miss Lydia. @servpolice

Some were white and some looks like pilgrim geese since u said the white ones are males hopefully I have a male and female she wasn't sure what kind of geese she has she just has them too look at

Some were white and some looks like pilgrim geese since u said the white ones are males hopefully I have a male and female she wasn't sure what kind of geese she has she just has them too look at

That would be awsome if you had a pair, and the same breed. I have two 1 year old ganders, Toulouse/African mixes and two 5 week old Toulouse goslings. My avatar is one of the Toulouse goslings

Is purina flock raiser good feed for geese

Like Miss Lydia said. Yes it is, that's what I feed. Crumbles with Brewers yeast for the goslings and pellets to the adults. They love thawed frozen peas and chopped romaine lettuce. Along with dried meal worms. I have started mixing in pellets with the crumbles since they are getting so large.

Be sure to post pictures as they grow

Last edited:
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG
This is my French Toulouse gander Hughley and goose Sophie. Picked them up from the post office July of last year. I'd suggest this breed if you're looking to raise geese as pets. Give them a lot of attention and they'll give it back. Just remember that the ganders usually get aggressive around mating season. They calm down around the end of summer though.

Back
Top Bottom