Toys and enrichment?

They’re currently napping after foraging all morning 💤 They really like their coop. This is the first time I’ve seen one in a nest box.
IMG_3327.jpeg

We have sandboxes and roost bars. This seems boring to me. Does anyone use parrot toys or any other fun things? They like to pick at my jewelry and buttons on my pants 😂 One even stole a nail I was holding (I got it back) so I’m thinking shiny things would be a hit. They don’t look at the mirror much anymore. They are 7 weeks old.
I got a xylophone for my birds, but they don’t really care. I think they have more fun free ranging, they sleep in the trees and spend most of the day pecking for bugs in the creek.

I got a xylophone for my birds, but they don’t really care. I think they have more fun free ranging, they sleep in the trees and spend most of the day pecking for bugs in the creek.
Oh a creek sounds fun. They will have access to a big yard with trees outside of their run once they get used to things. I opened their gate the other day, some came out and some stayed and they flipped out not being able to get back to each other through the run fence 😂 I had to corral them back to the gate. Not very smart yet.

Mine have a mirror, xylophone, bike tire, roosting bar, the chicks like the teeter totter i made, they also have a swing, but again only liked it as chicks.
I do hang cabbage up about once maybe two times a year and they peck at it for awhile

This seems boring to me. Does anyone use parrot toys or any other fun things?
Don't confuse your own boredom as the chickens boredom ;)

It's funny I saw a display of parrot type 'toys' at the farm store.
SMH.
A lot of the stuff that's marketed for chickens is just to get money out of the naive chicken keepers pockets.

Mine have a mirror, xylophone, bike tire, roosting bar, the chicks like the teeter totter i made, they also have a swing, but again only liked it as chicks.
I do hang cabbage up about once maybe two times a year and they peck at it for awhile
That sounds like fun! Thanks.
I'm not a fan of edible enrichment. A variety of "junk" is the answer: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140
Wow. It’s like a chicken amusement park!! Love it.
Don't confuse your own boredom as the chickens boredom ;)

It's funny I saw a display of parrot type 'toys' at the farm store.
SMH.
A lot of the stuff that's marketed for chickens is just to get money out of the naive chicken keepers pockets.
Yeah, makes sense. I just thought some sparkling things might be nice for them since they steal from me 😂

Back
Top Bottom