Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently my Tractor Supply does NOT carry silkies. :hit Cry........ I think I am going to get some orpingtons and wyandottes... silvers are my favorites!!!! :jumpy I actually just purchased this big boy's sister from a friend of mine... :)
I have never known them NOT to do bantams- usually they get a few batches towards the end. If you ask, they'll let you know. I've gone and counte toes.... but don't give up. They should be able to look and tell you when the bantams are coming. :)

Guess what I just got at tsc about an hour ago! More chickssss! I got 2 Wyandottes and 4 unknown assorted pullets. I have no idea what they are. Anybody know what they could be?

Unknown

Unknown

Unknown

This is one of the wyandottes

Unknown

Our local TSC had Golden Comets, Cornish Rocks, Barred Rocks and Dixie Rainbows. We got the last 3 Comets, 2 Barred and 2 Dixie. One of your pics looks like the dixies they had. Just a guess though.

I never heard of Dixie Rainbows. Do you have a picture of a full grown one?

We never heard of Dixie Rainbows either until we went to TSC. We got 2. Looked them up when we got home and I guess they're more a meat bird but read they lay well too (200-250 a yr). Also read that's what Mt. Healthy hatchery calls them and other hatcheries call them something different. After a little research on the chicks I read they are a cross of several different breeds but couln't find the crossed breeds used. Now I guess they are bread with other rainbows. We're new to chickens anyway and figured lets give them a try. Sorry, no full grown pics yet as they're only a few days old. We have noticed the legs and tiny combs are bigger looking thant the other breeds we got.
Try the sites search for the dixie rainbows. We found a few pics of them that way and they are huge compared to a rhode island red

Quote:
from what I gather reading other threads here that is one of several breeds that are supposed to mimic the popular "ranger" breed that has a trade marked name how they compare to the original rangers I have no idea. I figure they are more than likely good (maybe not quite as good as the original rangers but perhaps comperable) otherwise you'd see a lot of "hate" threads on BYC on the knock off breed and the hatcheries would drop them rather fast if they got lots of complaints and no one buying them.

We never heard of Dixie Rainbows either until we went to TSC. We got 2. Looked them up when we got home and I guess they're more a meat bird but read they lay well too (200-250 a yr). Also read that's what Mt. Healthy hatchery calls them and other hatcheries call them something different. After a little research on the chicks I read they are a cross of several different breeds but couln't find the crossed breeds used. Now I guess they are bread with other rainbows. We're new to chickens anyway and figured lets give them a try. Sorry, no full grown pics yet as they're only a few days old. We have noticed the legs and tiny combs are bigger looking thant the other breeds we got.
Try the sites search for the dixie rainbows. We found a few pics of them that way and they are huge compared to a rhode island red
Well I hope they lay ALOT of eggs! The bin they were in said high producing egg layers and that's why I got them. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
fl.gif

I talked to a sales girl.......... I told her I had some concerns. 1) the tub of barred rocks was labled pullets. Barred rocks are easily sexed by the spot on their heads. There were a LOT of male chicks in the tub. 2) green laced wyandottes??????? There is no such breed!

Then she says "do you want to buy chicks? Or just pick on us?"

WHAT??????

I called the home office........ then went back inside to make sure the home office called to straighten this mess out.

Home office actually called the store to get things right. The sales clerk apologized. I accepted her apology. But I will never buy chicks at TSC again. I have been burned one too many times by buying chicks that grew up to be anything but what I paid for!

Last edited:
The gentleman at the home office is going to check out all of the negative remarks on this site. He claims that the company is unaware of the number of complaints about chicks and the lack of knowledge of sales persons...........

Yea right! At least I think he cares..........

Back
Top Bottom