Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that last year ours sold:
- Production Reds
- Assorted bantams
- White leghorn
- Ducks (don't remember what breed)

I know all TSC are different and some people get a good variety and some not so much.

I've also gotten BOs, BRs, EEs, Leghorns, and have seen meaties {obviously} and tetra tints, and prs.

Bantams have included: d'Uccles I've gotten white and mille fleur}, Dutch booted, silkies, sultans, seramas, cochins, think I have a glw out there, too.

Ducks: mallards, khaki campbell, pekin, and cayuga.

Just bought 9 silver laced wyandotte's there yesterday, they are doing great! And just had a hard boiled egg for lunch with a patch of grass :)

I'll likely get some meaties at the end of the month to put with my turkeys. Hope that I don't have the same luck as I did last year. Got ten out of the meat bird bin and they ended up being white LEGHORNS!! Granted, they keep me in ample eggs but I don't need any more layers this year.

My local TSC sell half priced chicks on Mondays, before they get a new batch of chicks on Tuesdays. Found out from the manager who I happened to go to high school with. You all might want to call your area to see if they do that too. Granted, there will be slim pickings, but half price.

Our local TSC sells a mixed variety. Today I picked up RIR, Black Sex Link and some Barred Rock. They also had bantams, but I wanted good egg layers so I didn't purchase any of those.
My local TSC sell half priced chicks on Mondays, before they get a new batch of chicks on Tuesdays. Found out from the manager who I happened to go to high school with. You all might want to call your area to see if they do that too. Granted, there will be slim pickings, but half price.
This is good to know and will be sure and ask about it before my next purchase. Our local TSC has sold out every shipment within the first two days, so I had to call to make sure they had chicks left!

I had to go by my TSC today for feed and took a look at the chicks. In one bin there were a lot of chicks with pasty butt and when I told the woman there she was like, "I just cleaned them!" Nope, not as badly as they looked. I did ask if they would have any meat chicks since I am debating getting some. She was like, "These chicks right here are meat chicks. They are a cross between Leghorns and White Rocks."

I told her that no chicken with Leghorns in their genome would end up being a meat chicken. She was convinced that they were the "ones that are really tall and fat". Nope. I had to tell her that the chicks that she was telling people were meat chickens were actually bread for highest feed to egg conversion. Not a lot of meat at all. I also told her that I'd gotten ten chicks last year from the bin marked meat chicks and they turned out to be laying pullets. Now I know how that happened. This was the same woman I remember being responsible for the chicks last year and she saw Leghorn and instantly thought meat chicken.

So if you go and intend to have meat chicks or pullets, ask what breed they are instead of just going by the pullet or meat chicken label on the bins.

Back
Top Bottom