Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought I'd jump in and tell you all that you might want to check where TS or any of the other feed stores are getting their chicks.
A few get chicks from Privett hatchery and they seem to have been having problems with Salmonella.
You can go to the website of Privett and the statement is there about it.
So be careful and beware.

Our local TSC will have them February 17th. They carry different breeds on different days. I know it's different everywhere but a few of the ladies at our local store have there own flocks and are a gold mine of information. If they think you don't know what your doing they will give you a check list of when and what to do. We got 6 last year and they are all doing great. Wen't to the local feed store and got some this week. Had one die and the guys there just try to push you out the door. Once again it's different depending on location. 2.99 each for all breeds at the LFS and 2.50-4.00 at TSC. Because of the amount of people in and out of TSC the chicks get a lot more human interaction, here they also have a big area to run around in. Our local store had 50~ chicks in a small area probably 4x2 and only about 6 inches high each breed stacked on top of the other in metal bins.

Ya ours do that to with the metal bins and here they get them from mt healthy,privett and ideal.I don't know when there getting them in yet there's nothing posted on their website yet.

If you call the store they should be able to tell you an exact date. Ours had a 2 week rotation on breeds including ducks.

Just thought I'd jump in and tell you all that you might want to check where TS or any of the other feed stores are getting their chicks.
A few get chicks from Privett hatchery and they seem to have been having problems with Salmonella.
You can go to the website of Privett and the statement is there about it.
So be careful and beware.

That's a CYA, imo. I ordered from Privett's this past spring again and had zero problems. All of my chickens have come from Privett's (less this last batch of silkies) and they have been fantastic. Fwiw. :D

We bought 8 Isa Brown chicks in March, they all are doing fine and even as cold as Michigan has been are laying eggs. Some days 6 others 4 but laying eggs. We feed Dumor Crumble for laying hens, plus give them Dumor Scratch in a round bottle with holes. They have to work at getting bottle to dump scratch. No table scraps for them. TSC was very helpful to use. Sorry to hear about your chickens. Hoping you have better results in 2014. We have watched several things
On youtube, read articles and talked to several people who raise chickens.

People around us are amazed our hens are still laying eggs with the Cold weather. We do spend a good amount of time each day with the birds. We check each one from beck to foot each day, so each bird is held for a little while each day.

I would not loose heart with TSC. I would read, listen and what ever other info you can get on raising chickens

Good luck

I got my first and second batches of chicks at the local feed store. They weren't 100% accurate on breeds or gender, but they have all been healthy. I never knew TSC had chicks. I had never gone in there until I had already bought mine.

Back
Top Bottom