Tractor Supply Feed

JDonn127

Songster
Jun 25, 2020
Bucks County Pa
Is there any truth to what’s been said about tractor supply layer feed cause hens to stop laying? Is it just the layer feed or all feeds? I have been using Purina Flock Raiser from TS for year. Is this something I should concerned about?

Is there any truth to what’s been said about tractor supply layer feed cause hens to stop laying? Is it just the layer feed or all feeds? I have been using Purina Flock Raiser from TS for year. Is this something I should concerned about?
No.

There are several threads on this already, with a lot of interesting information. I'm not going to rehash it all here.

Don't worry. :hugs

For me, yes, it was true. I only fed my 35 laying hens purina feed and out of those 35 hens I was maybe getting 3 eggs every 4-5 days. I've now switched them, added in black sunflower seeds, and give them sprouted lentils. here's what I got today so far. 30 eggs. I just switched them a little less than 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 20230222_125955.jpg
    20230222_125955.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 5
For me, yes, it was true. I only fed my 35 laying hens purina feed and out of those 35 hens I was maybe getting 3 eggs every 4-5 days. I've now switched them, added in black sunflower seeds, and give them sprouted lentils. here's what I got today so far. 30 eggs. I just switched them a little less than 2 weeks.
You experienced an increase in eggs over the last two weeks because this is when chickens start picking up laying again every year due to increased daylight. I went from 1-2 eggs a day over the winter to an average of a dozen a day this month with no feed switching. So has just about everyone else on here regardless if they changed feed or not.

Past birds were Fed the Dumor chick start then to layer mix. These were RIRs Bar Rks and Buff Rks all did well and layed all through winter with no light stimulatiion . Now starting a new flock and plan on using the Dumor.

Back
Top Bottom