Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

UPDATE:  Just candled... The 6 brown organic free range were yokers.  Guess there are no Roos on the range.

31 white Trader Joe's fertile, 6 had blood rings, 10 were yokers.  15 show development, thee to four may be quiters (will known next weekend).  One egg has twin embryos.

do twins ever hatch out alive?

Quote: Rock Island are the ones I hatched. I got 5 of 12. Here is a picture of a trio from those eggs. Some one from another thread said they looks like Austra Whites and may be a hybrid. THey have some faint black spots here and there. They are about 15 weeks here. I just caught to cockerel trying to mount one of my Marans hens today. He hasn't crowed yet though that I have heard.

We put the tj eggs, Winco eggs, some araucanas that were generously donated and some backyard mutts in today! We will see what happens:)

We put the tj eggs, Winco eggs, some araucanas that were generously donated and some backyard mutts in today! We will see what happens:)

fl.gif
rooting for a good hatch

So I'm up at Trader Joe's today and the little devil on my shoulder is whispering in my ear that I may have 10 spaces in my incubator once my other eggs arrive and "Go ahead....take a look"

I took a look. All eggs in the case are at least 10 days old. I see a TJ employee walking past.

"Go ahead," says the little devil, "Ask."

Me: "Excuse me. I notice these eggs are 10 days old. Do you have anything fresher in the back?"

TJer: "I'll go see."

He returns with a whole case of TJ Fertile eggs with a Julian date of 244. (Today, btw, is 247)

SCORE!!!!!!!

And the eggs' shells look really decent and dense! So I'll throw a couple in the incubator Saturday and see what develops. It'd be nice to have a little TJ and JoJo in the flock.

Moral of this story: Ask and ye shall be rewarded

After years of wanting to try this, I'm finally joining the club! I put a dozen 5 day old TJ eggs under my broody BA yesterday. If they hatch, great! If they don't they'll keep her busy until I can get her some chicks. :)
I'm planning to candle at about 5-6 days and at about 12-14. I didn't think to candle them before I put them under her so I don't know how thick the shells are. I hope they will hold up to a broody.

Back
Top Bottom