Pics

GardeNerd

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
Trader Joes Egg Hatching Club Anyone? Do you want to be a member?
Post a link to a thread about your project, show us a picture, or write a comment to join!

It seems there are lots of folks who have tried hatching eggs that were intended to be breakfast from Trader Joe's or other natural grocery stores. Some folks have posted about it here on BYC. How many other grocery store chicks or chickens are out there that were hatched out of fertile store eggs, or at least how many people have tried incubating store bought eggs?

frow.gif

I am member. I currently have one Trader Joes chicken, Joey. She turns 1 year old on Feb. 3rd and she is a leghorn hybrid.
Here is a link to the thread about it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=124940
and kind of a video diary about it:

Last edited:
Interesting outcome of the offspring of the TJ chickens. One pure white and one dark gray. The tj roo and redstar egg produced a white chick with black flecks like the roo. More hatching now...
[QUOTE="Cyberous, post: 13995234, member: 0"]Has anyone incubated the eggs of their Trader Joe offspring?

I set 42 eggs in the incubator a week ago. The rooster and half the hens are from my tj hatch. Im wondering what will hatch since it looks like the Austra white line.

Do you think I will get a few pure black and a few pure whites?[/QUOTE]

My TJ hens are both laying and I just wanted to show you guys the difference in egg color I'm seeing between my all-white hen (left) and my white with gray speckles hen:

I put a piece of white paper as a background to get decent contrast on the lighter egg, otherwise it looks almost white. I guess the daddies must come from brown egg breeds and the speckled got more of whatever makes the eggs brown? I was fully expecting white eggs from these guys until I saw Cyberous' egg pics.

Hello!
Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to hatch chicks out of grocery store eggs. This little guy hatched Sunday out of brown fertilized eggs from our local grocery store in Hawaii. The eggs were imported from California, Petaluma I suspect and were listed as brown, fertilized eggs. I have no idea how old they were. They were at least a week underway (they go by ship). No idea how long they were refrigerated. I put six in the incubator, 3 developed, 2 went to lock down, and 1 hatched. I contacted the egg producer to see if they could tell me the breed they use for their fertilized eggs, but they have not responded, so it is anybody's guess!
Pretty sure I have a little roo on my hands, you can see the attitude already in his little face. His name is Frankie as my sister thought it was very Frankenstein of me to try to hatch a chick from a grocery store egg! Good luck out there with your hatches!:)
1D61725B-46E6-4DE4-9C86-A86F8E572BB3.jpeg
DB5A63F6-9B5D-4BB2-8203-4521524D516E.jpeg
185AFD0B-4051-434B-A9E0-C93470A2355B.jpeg
8B6AAAC1-DE51-4572-9423-5E99F1D2D695.jpeg

heh, I just love those little fuzzy yellow peeps.

These were from March 09...

03-09PeepsFirstPhotoShoot012.jpg

7ac088bea4d4.jpg

This is JoJo, the one pullet we kept, at about 9 months. She started laying at 16 weeks and laid 9 days out of 10 until molting.

6f6c669f27af.jpg

October 09...

9e2ad9e5385f.jpg

89a1f3ec3617.jpg

That hatch produced 5 baby roosters and 3 pullets...

ab33cfb68935.jpg

I had to give the roosters away at 4 weeks because they were too rowdy; too many plucked feathers and a bloody comb. This was in a 6'x6' square brooder on grass.

I kept two pulllets, the Blancas, from that hatch to start my new flock on the farm...

a4cc6f61f806__1263773172000.jpg

Thats a 10'x10' square chicken tractor they're in and I have since set it up on blocks so they can free range within their pasture.

c0e795526682__1263772886000.jpg

I do have somewhat of an ethical issue with hatching these eggs though. These peeps seem to really have a hard time hatching as compared to other peeps I've hatched alongside them. My own hypothesis is that this lack of vigor is due to the low quality diet fed to the commercial flock.

Then again, Slickchik's hatch rate just blew mine away by at least 50%. On TJ's eggs, that is.

Oh, and it was GardeNerd's science project thread that inspired me to try this.

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom