Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Thanks so much for this! According to this my TJ eggs were seven days old when I set them.
woot.gif
That is very fresh!

The flock that my hatching eggs came from was using a Hy-line brown rooster. Eggs will be light brown with that cross. I hope they will lay some pearl eggs though.

I wonder if all their fertile eggs use the same crosses?

I'm not sure what a pearl egg looks like. Is it different than a tinted egg?

I wonder if all their fertile eggs use the same crosses?

I'm not sure what a pearl egg looks like. Is it different than a tinted egg?

It is a slightly off white egg that some leghorns lay.

I do not know if all of the TJ's flocks use the same breeds in their fertile egg pens. The eggs I hatched came from Sonoma County California.

I found a nice brown 50G egg this morning. I think it might be from the Trader Joes pullets I have out in the back yard.

If so, that is a nice first egg!

Well, I've joined the club! My chickens had taken a bit of a break so I had extra room in m incubator and decided to go ahead and try to hatch some Trader Joe's fertile eggs. I bought 6 dozen (72) for $18 at a Trader Joe's in Sacramento, California and then took them all the way home with me to Chattanooga, TN.

When I candled them slightly more than half (38) were either clear or had blood rings. By far, most of them had blood rings. One interesting thing to note is that when I candled them the first half that I candled were almost all bad and the second half appeared good. I had picked out three dozen that were on the part of the cooler exposed to the outside and had to get three dozen that were way in the back where it was probably colder...so that might have affected hatchability.
I haven't checked the eggs that didn't hatch yet to see exactly what happened with the ones that didn't hatch but I ended up with 17 chicks. If only I had hatched out one more I would have had exactly 25% and they would have cost $1 each! Not bad! (The dark egg shell in the photo had been stuck to one of the other chicks that hatched out at the same time. For those who don't know, these are white egg layers).

Well, I've joined the club! My chickens had taken a bit of a break so I had extra room in m incubator and decided to go ahead and try to hatch some Trader Joe's fertile eggs. I bought 6 dozen (72) for $18 at a Trader Joe's in Sacramento, California and then took them all the way home with me to Chattanooga, TN.

When I candled them slightly more than half (38) were either clear or had blood rings. By far, most of them had blood rings. One interesting thing to note is that when I candled them the first half that I candled were almost all bad and the second half appeared good. I had picked out three dozen that were on the part of the cooler exposed to the outside and had to get three dozen that were way in the back where it was probably colder...so that might have affected hatchability.
I haven't checked the eggs that didn't hatch yet to see exactly what happened with the ones that didn't hatch but I ended up with 17 chicks. If only I had hatched out one more I would have had exactly 25% and they would have cost $1 each! Not bad! (The dark egg shell in the photo had been stuck to one of the other chicks that hatched out at the same time. For those who don't know, these are white egg layers).

What an epic story!

I hope you have a lot of pullets.

Is there any current Trader Joes hatching members? I have a white cochin banty who is currently broody, and no fertile eggs ...so was thinking of letting her sit on a few. Then maybe incubate the rest. I live in California and have seen the fertile eggs at Trader Joes. Feeling excited!

Is there any current Trader Joes hatching members? I have a white cochin banty who is currently broody, and no fertile eggs ...so was thinking of letting her sit on a few. Then maybe incubate the rest. I live in California and have seen the fertile eggs at Trader Joes. Feeling excited!

Give it a try, we have been having good hatches this year.

Back
Top Bottom