Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

The eggs were mine, some I pulled out of my own fridge, but none were 10 days old. I put 7 eggs under, staggered and got 7 chicks they all hatched with in a day of each other. The 2 older chicks went to the mom, brought the youngest ones in because they were teeny bantams with pasty butts.The will go with mom soon.

I just picked up 6 dozen eggs at a Trader Joe's in Burbank, CA. Today is September 11 and the Julian Date on the eggs is September 8. It was an open cooler and I tried to get the eggs closer to the less-cold outside edge if the cooler. I won't get to put them into the incubator for at least a few days until I get back to Tennessee and I want to space them a solid week behind last weeks eggs. I'll be interested to see how my hatch rate is. I think the fewer days at refrigerator temperatures the better. Even with the recent spike in egg prices they were still just $2.99/Doz.

I just picked up 6 dozen eggs at a Trader Joe's in Burbank, CA. Today is September 11 and the Julian Date on the eggs is September 8. It was an open cooler and I tried to get the eggs closer to the less-cold outside edge if the cooler. I won't get to put them into the incubator for at least a few days until I get back to Tennessee and I want to space them a solid week behind last weeks eggs. I'll be interested to see how my hatch rate is. I think the fewer days at refrigerator temperatures the better. Even with the recent spike in egg prices they were still just $2.99/Doz.
fl.gif

I hope they hatch for you!

Last edited:
Six dozen!!!
ep.gif

Holy Fricasse, Batman. What're you going to do with 72 if they all hatch? (I went bats with my 3 doz TJ eggs that had a high hatch rate.... But 6 dozen?!?)

Six dozen!!!   :eek:

Holy Fricasse, Batman.  What're you going to do with 72 if they all hatch?    (I went bats with my 3 doz TJ eggs that had a high hatch rate.... But 6 dozen?!?)

I can put almost 150 eggs into my incubator every week. My highest hatch was 93 chicks and I managed to sell them all pretty quickly. My birds haven't been laying much lately but maybe that will change with the cooler temperatures and added lighting. I haven't been trying to sell lately and instead I've been selling birds around the two month mark. I might have to sell some chicks again because I think I've got 200 or so on hand. Basically, at the right price you can sell any number of birds on Craigslist. My cheapest birds go for $2 each (and I think that's what I sold some of the Trader Joe's chicks for). I raised some to 5 weeks when I could sex them for sure (the cockerels have pretty big combs by then). I sold the pullets for $5 each and the cockerels for $1 each. I think this time I might raise the pullets to the 2 month mark and try for $10 each.

Hi. Well it's day 4 and I candled a few of the eggs. They look completely undeveloped. The yolk moves around the egg and there's no veins. I'll wait for day 7 to candle all of them. But I'm not optimistic. If the yolk moves then the egg is not developed right?

Hi. Well it's day 4 and I candled a few of the eggs. They look completely undeveloped. The yolk moves around the egg and there's no veins. I'll wait for day 7 to candle all of them. But I'm not optimistic. If the yolk moves then the egg is not developed right?

No!

Check out the chart

I have veining in one of my store bought eggs. I am really shocked. I can't believe this might actually work. How can I find out the breed? Not to get ahead of myself. They are 365 eggs from Whole Foods and they are brown. I was assuming RIR but maybe Rock Island after reading through this thread. Is that a mix?

Back
Top Bottom