Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Uh, oh. I just went out to check on my broody hen, and discovered her sitting on two of her flock mates' eggs in a different nest box, leaving the fertilized eggs untended in a different box. The developing eggs felt cool to the touch, and it's been a cool day--first time in weeks. I don't know how long she was off the nest. This is Day 16 for two of the eggs and Day 12 for two of the eggs. Candling yesterday clearly showed moving, developing chicks. Since I have no experience hatching eggs, can anyone here tell me whether my developing chicks are likely to have died as a result of not being sat on for an hour or more? Temp today is 66F.

Uh, oh. I just went out to check on my broody hen, and discovered her sitting on two of her flock mates' eggs in a different nest box, leaving the fertilized eggs untended in a different box. The developing eggs felt cool to the touch, and it's been a cool day--first time in weeks. I don't know how long she was off the nest. This is Day 16 for two of the eggs and Day 12 for two of the eggs. Candling yesterday clearly showed moving, developing chicks. Since I have no experience hatching eggs, can anyone here tell me whether my developing chicks are likely to have died as a result of not being sat on for an hour or more? Temp today is 66F.
They will probably be OK. I have had eggs survive an unplugged bator. If you have a crate you can move the poor confused girl into, you may be better off.

get them warmed up and recandle them tomorrow.

They will probably be OK. I have had eggs survive an unplugged bator. If you have a crate you can move the poor confused girl into, you may be better off.

get them warmed up and recandle them tomorrow.
I did as you suggested and candled again today. Four chicks, developing well and moving around! One of them kicked so hard while I was candling that I almost dropped the egg in surprise.
smile.png

@vetaflame Fantastic!

A 380 mile chicken run will begin in 20 minutes

I am off to Poway for Breda Fowl then La Jolla for Legbars

I should be back in OC by 12

Then its onto Acton and Sylmar for Turkeys.

Then its packing time.

The things we do for eggs!

I did not hear from you regarding the bator so I guess you worked it out

Good luck with your hatch

@vetaflame Fantastic!

A 380 mile chicken run will begin in 20 minutes

I am off to Poway for Breda Fowl then La Jolla for Legbars

I should be back in OC by 12

Then its onto Acton and Sylmar for Turkeys.

Then its packing time.

The things we do for eggs!

I did not hear from you regarding the bator so I guess you worked it out

Good luck with your hatch
Yes, thank you. I figured out a solution. Good luck on your egg run! I live just a few minutes from Poway, and I grew up in La Jolla.
smile.png

I went to a ladies house to buy two blue andelusians, she said I could have eggs to take home and incubate
these were the eggs they were cold but not too cold I think they were in her fridge.

Back
Top Bottom