Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

I have 3 TJ chicks. A friend hatched them. Only one pullet. So the 2 roos will have to go or become dinner. But I am noticing that the roos are bullies. Not sure how much longer im gonna keep them around if they continue.
All of my others are EE. I cant wait for them to start laying.

The meanest and orneriest roo I ever had was a little leghorn. He was a 2-pound terror! (Ambush attacking from trees, jumping off the roof....big on aerial assault) I think it's a "little man" complex.
wink.png

I ordered 40 eggs from eBay which arrived after much abuse via USPS. At Day 10 I am now down to 18 of the original amount. A couple of blood rings, two early deaths and a bunch just flat out scrambled and some really nasty ugly air cells.

Fearing I wouldn't get my complement of layers that I'm seeking, I swung by TJ's today and picked up a dozen 8-days-packed fertile eggs, which I'll load into the bator tomorrow. Hopefully with my hatches not being too far apart I can integrate the chicks well.

One thing I know for sure: Trader Joe's handles its eggs a whole lot nicer than the Post Office! I'm looking forward to some easy-to-candle shells and decent looking air cells.

I ordered 40 eggs from eBay which arrived after much abuse via USPS. At Day 10 I am now down to 18 of the original amount. A couple of blood rings, two early deaths and a bunch just flat out scrambled and some really nasty ugly air cells.

Fearing I wouldn't get my complement of layers that I'm seeking, I swung by TJ's today and picked up a dozen 8-days-packed fertile eggs, which I'll load into the bator tomorrow. Hopefully with my hatches not being too far apart I can integrate the chicks well.

One thing I know for sure: Trader Joe's handles its eggs a whole lot nicer than the Post Office! I'm looking forward to some easy-to-candle shells and decent looking air cells.
My TJ's doesn't carry fertile eggs. They didn't know what I was talking about. Whole Foods does but they go from the farm in Wisconsin, then to the distribution center in Chicago and then sent to the store in St. Louis. They're close to 2 weeks old by the time they get here.

Integrating should be easy I've been hatching for a little over 2 months. The first settings spanned about 7 weeks and they integrated OK. All the chicks from the last month (hatched every 3 days) all went together yesterday.
'
TJ's knows they're handling trays of eggs for their customers and do so by hand. The conveyors and automatic sorters in the postal distribution centers don't know what's in the boxes.

Daughter and I picked up 3 dozen TJ's fertile eggs and 1/2 dozen organic free range (maybe there's a Roo on the range) brown eggs we'll set tonight.

Can't wait to see what happens.

Has anyone incubated the eggs of their Trader Joe offspring?

I set 42 eggs in the incubator a week ago. The rooster and half the hens are from my tj hatch. Im wondering what will hatch since it looks like the Austra white line.

Do you think I will get a few pure black and a few pure whites?

Candled the eggs. Of the 3 dozen white Trader Joe Fertile eggs, one was cracked, one shell completely misshapen and 3 had detached air cells. 31 went in the bator, they had pack dates of 8 days ago.

The 6 organic free range browns all made it and they had a pack date of 5 days ago. Lock down is scheduled for September 10th. Will candle next Saturday.

Last edited:
Candled the eggs. Of the 3 dozen white Trader Joe Fertile eggs, one was cracked, one shell completely misshapen and 3 had detached air cells. 31 went in the bator, they had pack dates of 8 days ago.

The 6 organic free range browns all made it and they had a pack date of 5 days ago. Lock down is scheduled for September 10th. Will candle next Saturday.

Not too bad considering they have been bouncing around in the back of delivery truck.. I have some eggs I just set yesterday (not from TJ's or grocery) so we will be on about the same hatch schedule...

Back
Top Bottom