Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

My TJ hens are both laying and I just wanted to show you guys the difference in egg color I'm seeing between my all-white hen (left) and my white with gray speckles hen:

I put a piece of white paper as a background to get decent contrast on the lighter egg, otherwise it looks almost white. I guess the daddies must come from brown egg breeds and the speckled got more of whatever makes the eggs brown? I was fully expecting white eggs from these guys until I saw Cyberous' egg pics.

My TJ hens are both laying and I just wanted to show you guys the difference in egg color I'm seeing between my all-white hen (left) and my white with gray speckles hen: I put a piece of white paper as a background to get decent contrast on the lighter egg, otherwise it looks almost white. I guess the daddies must come from brown egg breeds and the speckled got more of whatever makes the eggs brown? I was fully expecting white eggs from these guys until I saw Cyberous' egg pics.
Congrats! Those look great! All the fertile trader joes I have ever seen in the store are chalk white shells, however Winco and rayleys both carry fertile brown eggs. I wonder what you would get if you crossed the offspring of the tj eggs?

My TJ hens are both laying and I just wanted to show you guys the difference in egg color I'm seeing between my all-white hen (left) and my white with gray speckles hen:

I put a piece of white paper as a background to get decent contrast on the lighter egg, otherwise it looks almost white. I guess the daddies must come from brown egg breeds and the speckled got more of whatever makes the eggs brown? I was fully expecting white eggs from these guys until I saw Cyberous' egg pics.
Here is an update pic of the Trader Joes Offspring (and TJ x Redstar offspring)

The dark gray and the two browns are 100% for the TJ rooster x Redstar hens. The one very light gray one is 100% TJ rooster x TJ hens (miracle chick) and the white/white with black fleck are mix of Tj x rooster and TJ hens and Redstar hens. Looks like I will have 6 roosters, and 4 hens. I'm excited about the light gray one turning out to be a roo :)

I am curious as to what breeds hatch from the TJ eggs.
The people who are able to buy them... What states are you in? I am in Oregon and they are not available.
I will say that they are Austra Whites. The reason, is one of my TJ hens has black or rather dark feet and beak. And now, some of their offspring have dark feet and beaks. California whites have yellow feet and beaks and obviously White Leghorn

have yellow feet and beaks.

Last edited:
I just heard my fertile barnstar eggs from raleys peeping! There are just five left of the original 9 or 10 I set. Can't wait to see what hatches.. It can't be long now!

Okay here is the first Barnstar chick from Raleys out of her(I hope) shell! Everyone else is still working on getting out..

Back
Top Bottom