Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Okay here is the first Barnstar chick from Raleys out of her(I hope) shell! Everyone else is still working on getting out..
Congrats! How did the rest go? Would love to see pictured of them fluffed out.....
big_smile.png

Congrats!   How did the rest go?  Would love to see pictured of them fluffed out..... :D
I'm kind of bummed.. I had four pipping and one fully developed but only two actually made it out! This afternoon they were alive and I resisted the urge to assist but tonight they were gone. When I opened the eggs they were fully developed but extremely cramped so I'm wondering if part of being a fast developing grocery chicken means you quickly outgrow your egg space... But my two that made it are super cute and feisty! Yellow chicks with a faint brown spot on the back of their heads..and unbelievably at one day old one has a noticeably larger comb than the other.

Ok..I need a little help from those of you who have been posting here for a while..I love love love the idea of hatching grocery store eggs just because it seems like such a miracle. I've been able to hatch from Winco and trader joes and the chicks have developed wonderfully into chickens. However this last experiment ended terribly. First only two could get out of the egg and now they are both dead! They were just days old and had a warm brooder box and were drinking water/ going poo normally. I have no clue what could have happened. These were from the raleys eggs and were only 6 days old when I bought them. Am I missing something? I don't want to keep doing this and end up with lots of dead baby chicks..any insight is welcome.

Prefacing this with I was REALLY YOUNG!

I actually wanted a chicken (my neighbors up the road and another down a ways both had farms) when I was a kid. In kid logic egg=baby chicken, duh. So, I took one of the eggs from the 'fridge and an empty plastic thing of some sort, maybe a blueberry container? I filled it with seaweed and grass (I lived on the water, we had loads of seaweed, not so much grass) and set it in the sun to warm up. I spent maybe a week making sure that egg was in the sun and warm until my grandma explained to me that the egg was dead. I was crushed T_T. I did get to go visit the farm and see the chickens at my neighbor's though, all of a 5 min walk.

I don't suppose that counts though, does it?

@ luckysaygo

If ALL hatches were successful we'd be up to our eyeballs in chickens! Unfortunately, some just don't go that way. The challenge in hatching refrigerated eggs is that they are compromised to begin with, with either washing, shipping, chilling. Some eggs don't germinate, some eggs don't hatch, some chicks don't thrive.

You are not alone. Anybody worth their salt for hatching can relate tales of woe. So realize that hatching store-bought eggs is an uber-challenge in itself. Rejoice on your successes and don't beat yourself up over the failures as they can and do happen.

Better luck next time!
fl.gif

I've been following this thread for a while, and was so excited to try it out for myself. I finally got my second bator built and picked up some eggs from the local natural food store. Got chatting with the owner and she gets her eggs from her neighbors! Apparently they have a huge assortment of chicken breeds, so I'm super excited for my mystery babies to hatch!
1f60a.png
1f603.png
they're on day seven and looking good! Any tips for a first time chirpy mama?

We don't have Winco stores in Tucson, AZ. Where are those stores?

they're in Oregon and Washington as well. I didn't know Winco carries fertile eggs. I'm tempted to drive to the nearest one today(half an hour away) to see if they have any lol. I'm going to see what the local health food store carries for eggs too. I've never looked at their eggs. Or even noticed if they have any.

Back
Top Bottom