Tragedy Averted! **Awesome Snake Photos**

kikescove.com

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Selah Washington
I went out to take some pictures of my new chicks and what did I see.....
Sorry for the poor quality photo, I snapped and ran at the same time. I nailed him by his tail before any damage was done.
tragedyaverted.jpg

Its a rat snake right? Nasty little things. Glad you got to him in time! Your poor babies. I would be on the watch out though. Hopefully that was the only one.

Its a gopher snake, or Bull snake. It was actually a pretty good sized one. Its a balance. We have pheasants and mice are a nuisance with all the feed. The bull snakes get the mice and gophers, and they also keep the rattlesnakes at bay. HOWEVER, they are really hard on eggs and baby birds. They got a bunch of my birds last year and I finally started killing them. Then a rattlesnake showed up. Some exciting times in the bird business I guess.

Close Call!
I agree with you, I would much rather have bull snakes around than rattlers. At least the bull snakes won't kill small children and livestock (just our chooks
sad.png
)

I was trying to get a picture of him striking, but my reflexes were just too good. I couldn't hold still no matter what. He hit the lens about 5 times. I never did get the shot. LOL

Back
Top Bottom