Treating and Preventing Parvo Virus in Puppys?

The reason you don't get sick from human diseases is because most folks are vaccinated, and many contagious diseases have been eradicated. If you ran across some of the nasty stuff that used to kill folks you probably would quickly become sick. Most folks don't remember how many kids died from diseases before vaccines became routine.

I don't believe in yearly vaccines for dogs either, but they should all get the basic core ones when young with an occasional booster. You just never know when they might pick stuff up.

The reason you don't get sick from human diseases is because most folks are vaccinated, and many contagious diseases have been eradicated. If you ran across some of the nasty stuff that used to kill folks you probably would quickly become sick. Most folks don't remember how many kids died from diseases before vaccines became routine.

I don't believe in yearly vaccines for dogs either, but they should all get the basic core ones when young with an occasional booster. You just never know when they might pick stuff up.
Good Point. Any who have you see the nasty reactions children develop from overdosing Vaccinations?

These days its all about money you just never know what's being put through you dog/puppies body. I know people who got their dog/puppies vaccinated and boosted and they died 2 or 3 days after. That's what gets me edgy. I may book a appointment with the vet but im not 100% of her age. Which also worries me.

There is always the risk of reactions to vaccines. I'd rather risk that than the actual diseases, parvo and distemper kill pretty quickly too. It's up to you to decide what risk to choose for all vaccines except rabies.

To me it looks like an under nourished 5-6 week old pup. I might keep it isolated and not expose it to potential diseases, get some good food in it for a week or two than see about vaccines after it's a bit stronger.

Be careful when taking it to the vet, always carry it or keep it in a carrier. I always worry about picking up stuff at the vets office.

Last edited:
The vet should be able to give you an accurate estimate on her age. And vaccines are an important part of keeping your dog health. There are some canine illnesses that can't be treated and are fatal, and the only prevention is the vaccine, like distemper or rabies. And those need to be boosted every 3 years to remain effective. Parvo is a really nasty bug that can quickly overtake a dog's system and does kill. The only treatment is supportive care and IV fluids, and a lot of hoping the dog pulls through. Vaccination is the only prevention.
They make these vaccines for a reason. The diseases they protect against are highly fatal.

There is always the risk of reactions to vaccines. I'd rather risk that than the actual diseases, parvo and distemper kill pretty quickly too. It's up to you to decide what risk to choose for all vaccines except rabies.

To me it looks like an under nourished 5-6 week old pup. I might keep it isolated and not expose it to potential diseases, get some good food in it for a week or two than see about vaccines after it's a bit stronger.

Be careful when taking it to the vet, always carry it or keep it in a carrier. I always worry about picking up stuff at the vets office.

That was what she looked like when she was first sold to us-She just lay there. I could try and take photos of her now but she doesn't want to sit still-she's prancing all over the place. She has vet approved Biscuits that's is proved to help their Immune system plus another bag that is proved to help good growth, Not to mention she has Puppy milk powder.

As for the reactions. Yes. I see your point. A carrier is always handy because I too, worry.

With dogs, vaccine reactions are relatively rare. Cats have a very small risk of developing vaccine related cancer at the site of certain injections, but the risk is so minimal that it does not compare to the risk of the diseases you are preventing. Vets also take precautions to minimize risks, such as giving vaccines lower on the legs so that if there is the off chance of a reaction, it is easier to deal with.

The vet will be able to age your puppy fairly well. Boostering of shots can be very important. If shots are not boostered at the appropriate time, the body never mounts an appropriate response to the pathogen and you are basically left with an immune system that is the same as not being vaccinated at all.

I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet for your puppy. It seems as though she may be special needs with her background.

And believe me, vets are not just in it for the money. With the amount of time and money put into school, most vets do it for the animals. Many vets make very little money per year and they tend to owe large amounts of debt for their schooling. Basically the veterinarian salary had not increased at the same rate as the cost of schooling and it means most vets live in large debt.

With dogs, vaccine reactions are relatively rare. Cats have a very small risk of developing vaccine related cancer at the site of certain injections, but the risk is so minimal that it does not compare to the risk of the diseases you are preventing. Vets also take precautions to minimize risks, such as giving vaccines lower on the legs so that if there is the off chance of a reaction, it is easier to deal with.

The vet will be able to age your puppy fairly well. Boostering of shots can be very important. If shots are not boostered at the appropriate time, the body never mounts an appropriate response to the pathogen and you are basically left with an immune system that is the same as not being vaccinated at all.

I would definitely recommend a trip to the vet for your puppy. It seems as though she may be special needs with her background.

And believe me, vets are not just in it for the money. With the amount of time and money put into school, most vets do it for the animals. Many vets make very little money per year and they tend to owe large amounts of debt for their schooling. Basically the veterinarian salary had not increased at the same rate as the cost of schooling and it means most vets live in large debt.
Yes, Her background could of been better. The world wants money, Vets can be a different story as you mentioned
smile.png
As for the reactions I do know dogs who have had major reactions but eh...different places ...different dogs..different vets.

She's so tiny and cute.
263a.png
Just wanted to put my experience with parvo and shots in here... I work at an animal clinic. I see a loooot of puppies... Out of the 4 years I have been working at this clinic I have only seen one shot reaction and none of the pups who were vaccinated came down with parvo. Being isolated doesn't really help your odds because parvo lives in the soil. However, I will say that I see around 1 case of parvo every couple weeks. Sometimes 2-3 per week, atleast in the spring/summer months. Every case that comes in either had 0 shots or only one shot and no boosters. Some clients try and treat themselves before bringing sick pups to us, and we've never had one recover from that. We recommend our clients start shots at 6 weeks and they are recommended 3 boosters - 1 every 3 weeks afterwards. Last set includes rabies vacc. I've had a pup with parvo. He had it when I bought him, and just please believe me it's not something you want to, or really CAN treat at home. I treated him on the days I worked, and that required shots for vomiting, iv fluids AROUND THE CLOCK with vitamins added to help his little system get stronger. He also got parvo boosters while he was there, some say it doesn't help at all but it seems to help our cases. He ended up needing 2 blood transfusions because his immune system was so low. Not all clinics are about money. We're not atleast... We try and help people in every way we can, but puppy shots are vital. Not something you want to mess around with... It will be far more expensive to treat a sick pup than it is to buy the shots to protect them!! Good luck with your cutie.

Back
Top Bottom