Treats chickens DON'T Like

My chickens eat the corn last in their scratch feed, and they don't like oranges I think their too tangy for them or something. My dad when I didn't know let a hen try sprite and I come walking up and my hen is shaking her head trying to get the taste out.

Quote:
I read somewhere that you shouldn't feed chickens citrus fruit--can't remember why. But maybe they knew that and didn't care for your orange.

mine don't like cabbage, but love watermelon, cantaloupe, yogurt, brown rice, strawberries, grapes.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Mine like just about anything you throw out there, not hip on cabbage but will come back to it after everything else is gone. The also don't like broccoli or cauliflower too much. They also REALLY love Lambsquarter (the weed). They go crazy over it. Haven't tried yogurt yet, what do you do, just put it in a bowl for them??

Yes, I just put a couple of tablespoons of yogurt in a bowl for them. They prefer the firmer kind to the more liquid stuff.

Mine LOVE plain yogurt.. The first time I had to put a couple sprinkles of thier crumbles on it to get em started, but now it is nothing but beaks and flying yogurt when I put it in the brooder.

They pretty much eat darn near anything so far...the only thing they weren't to keen on was cantalope rinds...

It's funny what some flocks love and not.

I haven't gotten any of my chickens (adults or chicks) to eat yogurt, but the adults cleaned up a bowl of cottage cheese. Some will eat the boiled or scrambled eggs while others ignore it.

Mine aren't crazy for things like apple peel, but they will eventually clean it up.

2 weeks ago my chicks wouldn't touch yougurt if their life .depended on it. A week ago I decided to try it again. As soon as I opened the cage door it had dissapeared. They absolutely loved it!
hu.gif

My pullets aren't crazy for tomatoes, natural yogurt (however they like plain and love flavored), bananas are iffy, and applesauce.

Lettuce is on the top of their list, strawberries, eggs, salmon, plain spaghetti noodles, grated cheese, and bread.

We're still experimenting.

HEY, anyone ever feed their chickens peanut butter? Okay, maybe that's not such a good idea.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom