Treats chickens DON'T Like

Quote:
Good thing, too..raw potatoes and peels are poisonous to em.

holy smokes, it is....how about cooked potatoes? I almost threw some in today..cooked that is

Supposedly cooked potatoes are ok. We had a couple of hens die when we first got chickens....we figured it had to've been some kind of poison and later figured they proably ate potato peels out of the compost pile....now we boil the potatoes with the skins on.

I've been reading this and to be honest I can't think of anything my chickens will not eat except the small magnolia tree in their run which itself seems to thrive with fresh chicken poo.

Fine chopped banana skins Yes (and a favorite)!
Luffa Gourd Yes!

I do believe feathered pigs is appropriate.

Cantalope is the only thing so far they wont eat, but give it a day and they have a feast on all of the Sugar Ants that are covering the Cantalope.

Hi!
l'm new to the forum; have just started raising chickens again ( for pets and eggs, only). My husband and l live in eastern Texas; have 10 dogs, 4 cats, 11 goats and 16 hens. l have discovered that my chickens LOVE sliced cantaloupe and tomatoes, as well as any greens and especially fresh corn. My local grocery store gives away produce that they can't sell, so l happily relieve them of it! lt is SOOOO hot here that l give cold fruit slices and veggies twice a day.
smile.png
l also have a fan outside the chicken house; the hens all sit in front of it- it's hilarious. This is such a great forum! My only fear is that l have already become a chicken addict!!
Melmonkey

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Mine like just about anything you throw out there, not hip on cabbage but will come back to it after everything else is gone. The also don't like broccoli or cauliflower too much. They also REALLY love Lambsquarter (the weed). They go crazy over it. Haven't tried yogurt yet, what do you do, just put it in a bowl for them??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom