Treats for chicks! And taming

mealworms work great for getting not so friendly chicks to become your best friends, you do need to have them on a chick grit prior to feeding them and don't over do it, it's easy to get carried away and feed them too many because they are so much fun to watch when they grab them and run wild trying to find a secluded spot to eat with every other chick chasing!!!

Mine love grapes (cut into small pieces). This applies to the babies and adults alike!! They like canned corn, too. I always put the treat in my hand(s) and make them come to me to get it. For the adults that aren't tame- I toss a couple in front of me so they can get a good taste of it- then make them take it out of my hand.

Are dry mealworms ok? And How long do chicks have to be kept under a heat lamp?
yes they are fine but again in moderation, they are high in fat content so don't over do it with them.

they need heat till they are fully feathered and/or acclimated to the current ambient temp. most chicks are feathered by 4-5 weeks of age and at that time they should be acclimated to around 70° they can then be fairly quickly adjusted to meet the normal temps of their environment as long as it's not an extreme temp change.

This was just the thread I was looking for. My girls are getting a little stir crazy and I figured something to nibble at or peck at should work fine to help wear them out. Those premade chicken treats are quite expensive when thinking about how fast it'll get gobbled up!

Back
Top Bottom