In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2016
Can I feed mangos to my chickens?

I know about...
* no avocados
* no citrus
* no onions or garlic( unless you wants their eggs to taste
like onions and garlic)
Are there more no nos that i don't know about?

no chocolate and no potatoes. Sweet potatoes are fine, but even if other treats are in the same jar as potatoes it can kill them. They are highly posionous to chickens. Too much milk isn't good for them, but a little bit is. Yogurt is GREAT for them, but make sure it is just plain yogurt with zero sugar. And they love meal worms too (but too many are not good, it can make them fat, so beware that as soon as you open the bag and give them the first bite they will want more and you will want to give them more. Mine know the bag and come running when they see and hear it :).

no chocolate and no potatoes. Sweet potatoes are fine, but even if other treats are in the same jar as potatoes it can kill them. They are highly posionous to chickens. Too much milk isn't good for them, but a little bit is. Yogurt is GREAT for them, but make sure it is just plain yogurt with zero sugar. And they love meal worms too (but too many are not good, it can make them fat, so beware that as soon as you open the bag and give them the first bite they will want more and you will want to give them more. Mine know the bag and come running when they see and hear it :).

Do you buy the mealworms? What brand/how much do they sell for?

You know, I find this thing about potatoes killing chickens curious.
When I grew up we lived on a farm, and our chickens got ALL the leftovers from dinner, including potatoes. I don't remember any dying. Is this FACT or is it myth???

You know, I find this thing about potatoes killing chickens curious.
When I grew up we lived on a farm, and our chickens got ALL the leftovers from dinner, including potatoes. I don't remember any dying. Is this FACT or is it myth???

Mine get leftover potatoes all the time and they're still kicking! LOL! Believe it began with the logical advice to not let them eat any potato skin that's green as that indicates a buildup of solanine which can make them - and us - sick if they eat too much. Somehow that changed to any potato skin and then it went to the entire potato.

There would be lots of dead chickens if potatoes could kill them. ;-)

Same thing for citrus. There's thought that too much may weaken shells due to the citric acid. They'd have to be eating a good amount of citrus for an extended period of time for it to have any impact. Next thing you know they're saying that any citrus is "toxic". Huh?

I try to raise my chickens the same way my grandmother did. You were raised on a farm so just keep on doing what you did then!

Mine absolutely love tinned sweetcorn, they would eat the whole tin if I let them

Mine like roasted potatoes! I don't feed green peels, but, then again, I'm not usually selecting the green potatoes for the humans either.

Back
Top Bottom