Trying my best to recreate this coop. Need advice please!

My very first plan was to make that home depot one but I decide i didn't like the layout and wanted more vertical height.

Ill try draw a run up when I get home tonight. What's also difficult to me is how to attach it to the coop.

Ill try draw a run up when I get home tonight. What's also difficult to me is how to attach it to the coop.
There ya go, just start sketching, don't be afraid to try different things.
Well, it is pretty hard to elegantly attach a 8x10 run to a smaller coop....
...maybe put the coop inside the run?

What's everyone's opinion on how nest boxes open?
Roof open
Wall open
Whole nest box swivels open

My box will be located on the back of the coop.

After drawing some different designs I decided to go with a swinging nest box that opens up. Two hinges will be connected on the 2x4 by the back which is attached to the nest box.
4x4 (3).png

I like the back access to nests, especially if they are exposed to the weather as a top hinge can be very difficult to seal.

I would advise against the whole nest swinging open, disturbing to hens.

Mine are in a wall inside, so weather not a concern, upper part of back wall opens and makes a nice 'counter' to set stuff on when tending nests.

It still needs to be somehow attached to the coop lol. I wanted it attached to the side of the coop. Maybe the back but then I would have to move nest box

Great point on the nesting box. Ill probably go with wall opening and a swinging box.
One main reason I wanted the coop to swing open was so I could also have access towards the back of the cook if needed. It won't be my main way of gathering eggs.

Im gonna have the nest box positioned about a inch inside the coop and have a metal drip catch at the top so water can't go in. We'll see if my skills can keep up with my ideas!

Back
Top Bottom