TULSA area Cluckers

Good Morning-------It's chilly this am out here on the prairie. Yah, winter is a comin I'm never ready even when I think I'm ready. My chickens have a way of changing the game plan the Mille Flour with 11 chicks didn't like the pen I put then in so she moved out along with her chicks not a good move they will be easier for the varmits to get in her new location have to find her escape hole fix it and put them back. Todays first project.I'm sure there will be other things I will need to address....... just though I was ready.

So I have been dealing with some issues with my backyard flock. All of my hens quit laying for over a month. Not a single egg. I had 3 that were already laying that quit and 2 that were suppose to start laying that never started and still haven't. My australorp and Buff Orpington, I know for sure lay eggs. I've had them sincethey were 3 weeks old and they laid every day for 2 months before they stopped. I added 2 more from Ronda day old chicks, Maran and a Cream Legbar, and the Maran ended up being a roo that I sold at a swap and got another that ended up being a roo as well and I had to get rid of him too but waited till he started crowing because he was just so pretty. I traded him with a black americauna that is 6 months old now but carried an upper respiratory illness with her which is why I believe my chickens quit laying. I also got a Polish hen, from Cherokee birds, that is suppose to be a year old but after having her for 3 months I have yet to see a single egg from her.She did go through a molt but she seems to be done now and still nothing.

For some reason they were not comfortable in the chicken tractor that my husband made for them so I bought a coop from my pet chicken that I put together myself. After a week of using it I got my first egg in over a month if not 2 months. I have 5 hens that should be laying and I have them on organic feed and I have gotten 1 egg in almost 2 months! That was an expensive egg.

I treated them for the infection and I don't hear any more sneezing or wheezing. But my Buff is the only one that has laid an egg and the only one that squats when I come close. The Australorp use to but doesn't any more.

Any of you have this happen?

When chickens molt it is not uncommon for them to stop laying for 2 months or even longer. Plus the reduced daylight will make them stop laying, too. If you want to kickstart their laying, give them some supplemental light and some good protein for 1-2 weeks and your eggs should pick right back up. Christmas lights are a great idea because everyone has them, they are easy to put up, and they have a lot less fire hazard than a heat lamp. You want them to get about 12 hours of light per day. So right now sunset is about 5:17 according to Google, so you want to use a timer that turns the Christmas lights on about 5 AM.

For protein, you can use dry cat food, canned tuna, scrambled eggs, etc.

Rinda

Sorry Rinda I totally misspelled your name in that post. Thanks for the info. I'll try the Xmas lights. I sure do hope I start getting blue eggs soon. That Cream Legbar was a bit expensive just to have as an ornamental bird. Even though she is beautiful I did get my birds for eggs and I believe she is 7 or 8 months now. Sigh. That is what I get for not quarantining that Ameraucana and being so ignorant about respiratory infections.

Those are some beautiful coops!

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a nice and peaceful December. I have taken a long hiatus after all our chickens were killed. But getting back into chickens. Hopefully will get some for Christmas... haha.

Have a blessed day!

Back
Top Bottom