Turkey can't stand?

Themartinfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
The Oregon Coast
Almost mature Beltsville White Turkey can't stand. He's putting it's feet out in front of himself & sitting on his butt. I'm not sure if it was getting picked on by the others or what. I had another male trying to mate him, had to pull him off... His legs do not appear swollen, no sign of sickness, no missing feathers, ect... We let them run with our chickens & ducks during the day & penned up separately at night....

When you pick him up do the legs hang down limply, or remain in the same position? When off of ground does he retain some control of them (able to move them about - bend at ankle, etc)?
Are the toes curled, or his he able to grasp your fingers?

That is a good sign. When you placed him back on the ground did he assume the `legs out ahead' position, or did he try to assume a normal resting position?

I'd guess injury. I'd start him on aspirin (use the formula below and can calculate the proper amount - 5mg per kilogram - crush 81mg. tab - divide into four equal piles 20mg. per. daub up with grapes and feed them to him). See if this doesn't help.

Probably needs to be on soft bedding and isolated from rest of flock. Another idea is to suspend him in a sling for a few days. If this is going to improve it shouldn't take too long.

ACETYLSALICYLIC ACID - Aspirin (Butler; Vedco)
Available as tablets (5 or 60 grain) for oral administration. Also
available as 1.25 grain orange-flavored chewable tablets. May be
effective as an analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory agent
in some avian species. May be indicated to prevent clot formation
and embolisms secondary to egg-related peritonitis, granulomatous
diseases and shock. Uricosuric at low doses and may be
effective in some cases of acute and chronic gout. A five grain tablet
can be mixed in 30 ml of diluent and administered at a dose of 0.5
ml/kg, TID (or 1 tablet per pint of drinking water).

from: Avian medicine: Principles and Applications (formulary) here: http://www.avianmedicine.net/ampa.html

Thank You
smile.png
I'll give it a try!
When I set him back down he puts his legs out front again.
He's in a large kennel with grass for bedding right now, by himself. Hopefully he'll get better...
I'm kind of wondering if he got picked on or something by the others... Especially since I seen one trying to mount him... We do have alpacas, llamas, & a sheep that run free in the feild also. I wondered if one may of steps on him or something but his legs look fine...

I really appreciate your help. Although he's make a great Thanksgiving Dinner, I prefer not to go that route...

That's pretty neat!
smile.png
We may have to do that! He's having a hard time, can't get up... Moved his legs like crazy when moved to a new position but can't stand...

Back
Top Bottom