Turkey Day with MP & AussieSharon - photo heavy

Quote:
You might have the kids tie a rope around your waist encase you fall in....lol. I don't think it would fit in my oven. I'm going to show this thread to DH, in my we need a bigger stove and oven pitch.

Don't mind my teasing, I am really in awe....and just think of all the turkey leftovers you can do. Great job!

We dry plucked them.

Last year I scalded my turkeys and the stink was too much - worse than wet chicken feathers.

I wanted to try the dry pluck method and worked fine for me. Not wet stinky feathers and everything came out ok save for some big wing feathers. We used pliers to get them out.

Great pics miss prissy. I want to get some turkey eggs from you in spring if you have a few available that you can spare. I took my white giant turkey and white Embeden goose out of the freezer last night I am going to start the brining process today. We are going to fry the turkey, (I hope he fits in my FIL's turkey fryer!) I think he will though because I did not let him get So huge he is only in the 20 something pound range. I gave his brother to my friends about 5 weeks ago when i butchered mine. They continued to grow thiers out, He is getting butchered today. I bet he is going to get to the near 40lb range. I am so excited its finally the week of Thanksgiving! This is my favorite holiday all year...I am starting to cook this morning and wont stop til the food is on the table. We are also going to smoke a duck and process some more of those lovely fat quail.

I know how excited you are. Since last year after Thanksgiving I began anticipating this year's turkey. We really wanted beautiful birds and we have them!

Nice Job Miss P. Of course you always do a nice job and you are one of those people that make all that hard work look so easy. Thank you so much for sharing all of you daily life with us. I have learned so much from you.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, and please let us know how great that turkey was.

Sorry to take so long to respond to this thread. My 5 year old is sick and has had my attention all day.

OMG where to start! We arrived at MissPrissy's to a big smile and hug and breakfast ready for us! Boy can she cook! YUM doesn't even come close.

After breakfast and chatting we went on a "tour" and I can honestly say I could live there forever. I saw a goat that was bigger than my first pony.
lol.png

MP has it all. She's a true blue homesteader in every sense of the word. After drooling over the quality of her goats, pigs, rabbits, ducks and geese. OMG I sooooooo want her geese! She opened the door to the turkey and I saw the BIGGEST turkeys of my life. Huge friendly turkeys came walking up to us and we chose the ones to butcher.

Here I was thinking I was being "smart" choosing a small hen. There was nothing small about her. If anyone wants a laugh they can watch me try and hold this gigantic dressed hen as I stand on my bathroom scale to find out how much she weighs.

We had a great day chatting and plucking turkeys, ducks and chickens, oh and eating!!! MMMMMMM

If MP offers turkey eggs next year GET SOME! You won't be disappointed. Her turkeys are outstanding.

I'll be sure to update with photos and the weight of my hen.

I love seeing turkeys which aren't white!

Whenever I visit the processor, there invariably is someone there with turkeys they let grow a little too long. The poor 50 lbr's can't be put in a cone, so they just pop them on the floor. They're too large to even try to get away. ><

A lesson to all turkey growers, they grow quicker than you think!

Back
Top Bottom