animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
this rat snake seems big and strong

i was shocked at the video but when i talked to a herper he claimed he has seen wild turkey kill rat snakes over 5 feet long very easy

has anyone else seen this?

Peacocks they say do it but I have never seen a peacock kill a snake bigger than 2 feet, same with guineafowl.

I have geese, ducks, chickens, peafowl and guinea fowl they will kill and eat a very small snake but never ever seen them kill a big snake, but when they see them they eye ball them real hard and make a fuss and my dogs will come to see what is wrong and kill the snake.

you have a very powerful pack of dogs looks like, maybe yours just know they dont have to kill the threat because they have a back beasts to do it for them?

someone else had a goup of dogs like yours and most ducks who strayed too far were being killed by coyotes but all the ducks who stuck near the dogs never got touched, so many of the ducks muscovy learned to have chicks and just stick near the dogs at night to survive.

How long was that snake they took? Probably nothing I dont even think a python would last long with your group. Specially lead dog with the spike collar lol My bitches do not like each other so they work solo seperate. Not as nice as it would be if in a pack.

Last edited:
this rat snake seems big and strong

i was shocked at the video but when i talked to a herper he claimed he has seen wild turkey kill rat snakes over 5 feet long very easy

has anyone else seen this?

Peacocks they say do it but I have never seen a peacock kill a snake bigger than 2 feet, same with guineafowl.
If you listen to the conversation the snake is biting and holding the turkey hens beak.

my volume was off

ivan is it common for them to kill large 6 footers? I know nothing can chomp down on a snake so easy like a pet dog even labs etc..

Id like to see more pictures ivan and zaz if possible? I had a snake sneak in past everyone last summer and kill a nesting pair of rare barbets. Talk about sneaky. I thought the avairy was predator proof! those were 500 dollar birds also.

Last edited:
my volume was off ivan is it common for them to kill large 6 footers? I know nothing can chomp down on a snake so easy like a pet dog even labs etc.. Id like to see more pictures ivan and zaz if possible? I had a snake sneak in past everyone last summer and kill a nesting pair of rare barbets. Talk about sneaky. I thought the avairy was predator proof! those were 500 dollar birds also.
The reason I got the shot below was that the Slate hen, all by her lonesome (had been dirt bathing), was whining and striking at something in the patch of Day Lilies near the base of a White Oak - this went on for some time. The rest of the turks & chooks were all out back with us in the garden. Finally decided to see what the hen was up to & walked over. Ratter was trying to make for the vertical exit when I got there. So, yes, the hens (at least ours do) seem intent on continuously harassing and striking at the head of a snake with their beaks (stun them). Two hens "tag team" the snake (as in thread I linked to). I'd guess three or more hens would make short work of even the longest Rat snake/Racer. I don't worry about snakes getting into the turkey shed when hens are brooding poults, anymore.

I have geese, ducks, chickens, peafowl and guinea fowl they will kill and eat a very small snake but never ever seen them kill a big snake, but when they see them they eye ball them real hard and make a fuss and my dogs will come to see what is wrong and kill the snake.
I actually worry about my dogs going after snakes. They love to. I lost one of my pits to a bite from what was probably a copperhead several years ago. The vet said if he wasn't bit so close to his heart,he probably would have made it

Back
Top Bottom