Turkey Poults keep dying

Sep 30, 2017
My turkey poults keep dying and I have no idea why. I ordered 15 from Murray Mcmurray and they came in 5 days ago. 2 died in box, and so far almost everyday one has died, leaving us down to 7. Giving them game bird starter, regular water, dry clean shavings everyday and the run of the mill heatlamp. I have brought them outside for the past few days so I dont know if thats the problem. It always seems that the ones dying are lethargic and dont want to eat, but yesterday they all looked perfectly healthy and active, but then this morning one died. Am I doing something wrong? I have never had this many deaths when brooding chickens, ducks, geese, and guineas.

My turkey poults keep dying and I have no idea why. I ordered 15 from Murray Mcmurray and they came in 5 days ago. 2 died in box, and so far almost everyday one has died, leaving us down to 7. Giving them game bird starter, regular water, dry clean shavings everyday and the run of the mill heatlamp. I have brought them outside for the past few days so I dont know if thats the problem. It always seems that the ones dying are lethargic and dont want to eat, but yesterday they all looked perfectly healthy and active, but then this morning one died. Am I doing something wrong? I have never had this many deaths when brooding chickens, ducks, geese, and guineas.
Number one, I would not use shavings for the bedding until the poults are two weeks old. If you have them on shavings, they can eat them. Without having appropriate sized grit available, they cannot digest the shaving and can develop intestinal blockage and die.

You may want to start your poults on Corid in case they have coccidiosis.

What is the temperature of your brooder at the bedding level?

Be sure their water is warm and not cold.

Back
Top Bottom