TWEAK MY COOP~Tweaks on the Cheap

After asking ny husband to build me a coop for the past few years I decided to do it myself. Lol. The only things I purchased for my coop were four sheets of plywood, wire, mismatched paint at the hardware store and latches for the door. I will be putting barn tin down the sides to protect the plywood and a ridge cap. Frame wood and all other materials were what i found around the yard from other projects. Not fancy but fits my needs!

That's really spectacular! You go girl :) . Your little ones seem to be enjoying it too! How do you access the feeders and nest boxes?

Thanks! I just use the screen door. Ive since put a 2 x 6 along the ground between the covered part and the run to keep their straw in a bit better. Some still gets in the run but that keeps most of it in

I have three of the small standard waterers. The plastic with the red bottoms. They also drink out of the ducks pool aand I have some dog vowla of water set out.

My dog has shared water for 4 yrs now and doesn't seem to mind one bit. I've got the water pan sitting down in an old tire...it keeps it elevated for his use and also keeps the birds from scratching scurf into it....keeps it cooler in the summer time too!

Will need to do some coop tweaking before fall to improve useability of the coop and replace some worn out tarps. Today I added two more temporary roost bars to accommodate all the birds hatched out this spring...just used some old, half rotten 2x4s from over in the scrap lumber pile and zip tied them into the coop. They are still sturdy enough to hold chickens and I can remove them later on in the year when I do my fall cull of extra roosters and old, spent hens.

Right now I have 33 birds, 8 adults and the rest juveniles. I'd like to thin that flock down to at least 20 birds or less to take through the winter months.

Back
Top Bottom