TWEAK MY COOP~Tweaks on the Cheap

Good share! I'll add another....when thinking of colors and thickness for shade tarps, I've found that the silver tarps do NOT deflect the sun like I had first imagined and that the Green/Blue tarps seem to diffuse it, especially with the green side upwards~incredible difference between the temps created by these two tarp colors. Also, the thicker mil tarp you can get, the better...better to keep out the sun, better for longer lasting performance.

That's good to know as well. We bought the clear fiber reinforced poly tarp to close in and a 50% shade tarp for the shade. The shade tarp is smaller and will go on the top so the sides will still let plenty of light in. Guess time will tell how well it works out! :)

So now that we are moving I get the chance to build a new coop. We decided on the hoop coop style and have begun construction. Last night we started putting extra grommets in the shade tarp we bought for the run. It went great but I thought I'd share a tip.
When using the small tube cutter in the grommet kit I wasn't able to cut through the shade tarp very well so I lit the propane torch up and used a needle nosed leatherman to hold the tube and heated the end. It then went through the material like butter and melted the edges which I think will help prevent fraying on this mesh-like material! We actually had fun doing it!
Just thought I'd share that!
That's a great idea!
Those things are terrible, there's always a dull spot, I always sharpen the cutting edge on a bench grinder before using.
My biggest problem with grommets is the extra grommets might not fit the original tool and die...they are just a tiny bit different and won't crimp properly.

That's good options! For winter you can take off the shade tarp and get the full benefit of the sun...that's what I do now that I've discovered those lovely clear tarps!
love.gif
They are just wonderful and have turned my winter time coop into a sunny place for the chickens.

Yes, I think that was where I got the idea...I have several pictures of your coop (and others) that I have printed and showed the hubby. We took ideas from all of them and came up with something we hope will work well!

That's a great idea!
Those things are terrible, there's always a dull spot, I always sharpen the cutting edge on a bench grinder before using.
My biggest problem with grommets is the extra grommets might not fit the original tool and die...they are just a tiny bit different and won't crimp properly.
That's good to know too. I need to pick up more grommets today...should've brought the die with me! Ugh! Hope I find ones that will work.

Well...it's that time of year again. I'll be ordering a new clear tarp this week...not because the other one is worn out, but because I want to go bigger. Since I added that extra hoop on the back, I would like to have that covered in clear tarp this winter as well...the more sunshine in there, the better.

I'm going to repurpose the other clear tarp into framed out window cover for winterizing my son's sunporch on the back of his house. Right now it's just screened on the upper half and last winter he stapled up plastic over those large sections of screen but this year I'd like to create something for that area that is better looking, sustainable, reusable and a snug fit.

I'm thinking about adding a roof cap...we have one lying around here since they put a new roof on Mom's trailer and it's not much good for anything else, so was thinking about adding some wood to it to add some roof space/ventilation to my roof line. It would only add an additional 4 in. or so of ventilation for the whole length of the coop but I think it would be beneficial...sort of like a low cupola.

I'm also going to jack up the front of my coop(I'm on a slight slope) another 4 in. and insert some treated 4x4 pieces I've found when cleaning up the scrap lumber pile this summer. I'll follow back the coop on the sides with pieces of brick/block I have here and there to create a slightly taller coop. Then I'll put some boards back onto the wire at the base of the third hoop(the roosting area) to contain my DL there. All of this will allow me to build deeper DL when I want and have more head clearance when I do.

I'm also going to frame out a doorway into the side of the hoop section where the roosts are so I can lift that section of fence when needing to add or remove DL there. Don't know how to do that without losing the curvature of the side of the hoop, so still thinking that one out. I'd like to keep that domed shape of the hoop if I can.

Well...it's that time of year again. I'll be ordering a new clear tarp this week...not because the other one is worn out, but because I want to go bigger. Since I added that extra hoop on the back, I would like to have that covered in clear tarp this winter as well...the more sunshine in there, the better.
If you order your clear tarp online, would you share a link please?
Am contemplating putting on part of the run for winter.

Back
Top Bottom