TX minimum chick purchase at TSC

LaynaDon, glad you were able to find someone to split the purchase with you! :) I honestly think it's a resonable policy because of the people who go in for a dog collar or some such and would give in to their bratty screamin kid "but I want a chicken!" And then let the poor thing die. However, for those of us who just want a varied flock or only have room for a couple, it's a bit of a hassle!

I have had some very good experiences with TSC employees and the chicks. They sem concerned for the welfare of the babies and most have been very knoweledgable. I have ran on to a couple who knew almost nothing about the chicks and they always rushed off to get someone who did. Anytime you are dealing with live animals, especially tiny fragile ones, there will be some bad experiences. But as a whole, I think they are doing a great job and a wonderful thing helping promote the raising of your own food! Now, if my TSC would just get meat chicks I would be a happy camper! *sigh*

they are CLAIMING that its a state law.... but going to the same TS was told different numbers of chicks at different times. So if it WAS state law... they would likely have it clearly posted on a legal document issued by the state. Which if you notice... they don't.

In Mass, the local Agway guy was shocked that I was able to get 5, as he thought it was state law that I couldn't order less than 10, TSC said 12 minimum. I had already ordered my 5, but I was somewhat shocked by this given that I think I am only allowed to keep a total of 10 on my property by town law!

in wv the tsc was similar to other posters it was 6 chick and i think 2 ducks. I only wanted 2 pullets so i had to improvise so guess who's gonna be processing 4 meat birds in a few more weeks.
yippiechickie.gif

Some states, I believe, DO have a minimum to be purchased and some might even have laws prohibiting the dyeing (coloring) of poultry. The reasons cited all have to do with Easter. Folk will buy a single chick, or a cute little pair of pink chicks for Junior's Easter basket, then have a change of heart when the awkward 'teenage' feathering begins (and they're white!). I don't personally support the notion of chick dyeing, nor do I think animals should be thought of in the same category as candy or toys.

I was surprised to see the minimum posted at my local TSC, but I didn't ask why. Makes sense in more ways than one that it is a company-wide policy. I'm OK with it. I now have an answer for my wife as to why it is possible to buy 3 chicks from Meyer (in Ohio) but only 6 or more can be bought at TSC down the road (in OH).

On the down side, I noticed that there were a lot more chicks remaining unsold in the store this year. (this might have to do with folk being able to till fields earlier than normal). I also was asked to chime in on a discussion between a clerk and a customer about which was the best way to identify the chicks by sex. Customer didn't know, and the employee looked to me to support them in their very wrong point of view. My answers: you'll know when it crows for these...and those over there are sex-linked. Now, I am not an expert, but it doesn't take too much to be mildly knowledgable. I don't believe that every employee in the store should know everything about poultry, but it kinda chaps my hide when I hear blatantly wrong information being doled out. A standard source of information for employees would be a great idea. Even training that involves answering a question with "I don't know" could be an improvement in some cases.

On the plus side, things were very much more organized this year than in the past. No mixing of breeds! On the further plus side for a cheapskate like me, all the unsold birds meant that they had to mark down prices to move the birds out of the store. My broody BO now has 7 little Sebright and OEG bantams to care for. They were and still are healthy. I did notice that all of the birds looked pretty good in the store.

Interesting. Our local TSC (Leesburg, VA) has had chicks and ducklings for several weeks now, and I've been looking at them (though they haven't had any breeds I'm interested in, yet). I haven't seen any signs or notices regarding purchasing minimums or anything. I'll have to ask the next time I'm in, just out of curiosity. While I understand the purpose of setting a limit like that, I think six is excessive. We were a 5-chicken family until three weeks ago, so if we had gone with TSC when we got our chicks last year, we'd currently have one chicken.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Some states, I believe, DO have a minimum to be purchased and some might even have laws prohibiting the dyeing (coloring) of poultry. The reasons cited all have to do with Easter. Folk will buy a single chick, or a cute little pair of pink chicks for Junior's Easter basket, then have a change of heart when the awkward 'teenage' feathering begins (and they're white!). I don't personally support the notion of chick dyeing, nor do I think animals should be thought of in the same category as candy or toys.

I was surprised to see the minimum posted at my local TSC, but I didn't ask why. Makes sense in more ways than one that it is a company-wide policy. I'm OK with it. I now have an answer for my wife as to why it is possible to buy 3 chicks from Meyer (in Ohio) but only 6 or more can be bought at TSC down the road (in OH).

On the down side, I noticed that there were a lot more chicks remaining unsold in the store this year. (this might have to do with folk being able to till fields earlier than normal). I also was asked to chime in on a discussion between a clerk and a customer about which was the best way to identify the chicks by sex. Customer didn't know, and the employee looked to me to support them in their very wrong point of view. My answers: you'll know when it crows for these...and those over there are sex-linked. Now, I am not an expert, but it doesn't take too much to be mildly knowledgable. I don't believe that every employee in the store should know everything about poultry, but it kinda chaps my hide when I hear blatantly wrong information being doled out. A standard source of information for employees would be a great idea. Even training that involves answering a question with "I don't know" could be an improvement in some cases.

On the plus side, things were very much more organized this year than in the past. No mixing of breeds! On the further plus side for a cheapskate like me, all the unsold birds meant that they had to mark down prices to move the birds out of the store. My broody BO now has 7 little Sebright and OEG bantams to care for. They were and still are healthy. I did notice that all of the birds looked pretty good in the store.

Sorry to change the topic...
hide.gif
(for future reference, yall want me to just start a new thread? - I never know
idunno.gif
) Any how, how long does a hen have to be broody for before you can slip some chicks under her for her to raise? And will they stick by her, or do you have to lock them up in a cage so they don't run away from her?

Back
Top Bottom