Tylan 200 injection schedule

Quote:
Eprinex will kill gapeworm (if that's what it is,) redose in 10 days... 1/2cc, same place on bare skin. Time will tell if there's a toxic worm overload, but I doubt it. If you had a large flock, adding the safeguard goat wormer to water might be viable. I would still worm them individually, orally with the valbazen or safeguard. I would avoid ivomec injectable if I were in your shoes.

I wanted to add that the most common way to diagnose what particular problem you are dealing with is with a necropsy (animal autopsy) It sounds very much to me that you are dealing with a respiratory illness. But then, that is what I have experince with. If your bird dies try to get her to your state veterinarian for the test. It is free in many states and low cost in others. Just google for instance: virginia state veterinarian and you should get a result. It's pretty important that you know what you are dealing with so that you can plan proper management. Keep the bird cold until you can get it delivered. As fresh as possible.

I have also used Tylan 50 0.5 cc injected for these things. I prefer giving it under the skin (SQ), it is easier and some folks feel it is better than IM because you should'nt get the problem of it killing tissue in the birds breast. Pull up a tent of skin on back of the neck and insert needle just under the skin. Hurts them much less too. Good luck!

Eprinex is a great wormer to use because it has to absorb through the skin, making the action slower and less likely to cause toxic overload. I am glad to get confirmation from Dawg that is will get gapeworm too (I looked all over the net for this info last year to no avail). The 1st treatment I did for gapeworm was Eprinex, too--I worried I had screwed up. I followed it up with the Fenbendazole week 2 and 3, treating everyone in the coop.

FYI--my vet doesn't even hold back eggs after Eprinex. I'm not so brave and toss 'em for a solid week.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Eprinex Dawg; if its Gapeworm or other worms we'll hopefully see some improvement by...........tomorrow maybe? That would be 3 days since worming. We're at 48 hours after Eprinex right now, hard to see much improvement, but she's still lively; eating and drinking in the morning with the flock. She is still sneezing some and head shaking a little; doing quite a bit of a 'chewing motion' -- like she has peanut butter in her mouth. Wonder if that's her trying to process (choke down) the dead worms (yuk). She still did a couple of neck enlongated 'gasps' while we were up there putting everyone to bed tonight.

If you don't mind looking, the link below from YouTube is the one that turned me onto the possibility of gapeworm; albiet our Wyandotte is only doing that motion every few minutes or ten; not repeatedly.

There was another chick on YouTube that was doing a similar movement with her neck and they said it turned out to be from feeding bread. We feed our flock a couple pieces of bread or a couple old buns almost daily as a little treat. We get the day olds from the bakery for free....

if this works, I'll do the Safeguard Fenbendazole on week 2 and 3 like you said Echobabe; then do you think that would be a good regiment for the balance of the flock? Week 1 Eprinex; Week 2 and 3 Safeguard?

Hope you all have a great weekend; would love to buy you all a round
smile.png

Tylan 50 injectable given orally
Im sure someone has figured this out as well. 1/10 of cc is a very very small amount. Vet suggested remove tylan with needle/syringe place in bottle with eye dropper. 1 drop equals 1/10cc, so 1 drop per lb of chicken.
I have tiny bantams and if someone has been sick for a few days there is hardly any meat left on that breast bone (vet does my injections) but according to Murphys law. Chicken will get sick on a Friday evening and vet is unavailable till Monday. Chickens/chicks get 1 drop a day till I can get them to him. Dr Kaufman is also the state vet for rare and endangered birds here in Hawaii. He has saved the entire colony o endangered hawaiian crows a few times.
Feeding in emergency situations/Murphy's Law
Baby parrot feed, I use ABBA brand mix according to directions, about 2 tbsp volume per bird, 1 tbsp yogurt or probiotic and a squirt of nutri-drench. Usually 1 squirt in the mouth triggers a response to feed and chick/chicken will gobble feed off a spoon after that. If not I hand feed till crop is full.
Pox and general cleaning of wounds - Dr uses 2cc novasen in water and washed over affected area, will not harm eyes, ears, digestive tract. He also washes out their throats if its a thrush like issue.
My birds are all range well a big yard is their domain... he wants me to immunize every single chick coming in with pox immunization, he says wild birds and the occasional visiting pigeon is bringing in nastys.

One last thing and so very important. When chickens are very sick they are unable to retain body heat as normal. All energy needs to be focused on getting well not on staying warm.
Pull out your old trusted heat lamp (25 watt bulb is sufficient) and place low in an area free of drafts for them to gain additional warmth, 24-7 during the day too.
If you see a huddle around the lamp check those birds, they may have the beginings of what ever the sick ones had.

PS Love the idea of pulling the wattles down to open beak, my self blues (o/e) dont have wattles, but will use that method on bigger birds.

Hi Gang -- no luck yet.

We're 48 hours past the second Tylan injection and our Wyandotte does not seem to have improved.

If you guys could take a quick peek at these videos I just took minutes ago, maybe it might help (excuse my less than professional videography -- no clue what that crazy buzzing noise is on the clip).

Any clues? Feel horrible for her suffering, thinking about saying goodbye. Thank you!!

Quote:
She actually doesnt look that bad, shes NOT huddled up nor shivering but I gotta tell ya that sure was a small poop
Is she eating? Possibly her throat is tender and unable to swallow, spoon feeding time???

Back
Top Bottom