Tylan 200 injection schedule

Mark
I sure hope u get this resolved. I am going thru the same thing. After finding the gapeworm in dead bird I used the eprinex and after not seeing any impovement I went with the safeguard in the water. After using the eprinex I have not found any worms in the dead birds but each one had yellow mucous in windpipe. I am now on my third day of injecting .5 cc of tylan 50. At least no new deaths last 24 hours. Please keep us posted of your progress.

Herman

Hi Herman,

Sure will. Just came in from giving her the Eprinex. I spent some time stroking her throat in a downward motion and gently squeezing her throat and crop area. We also dripped in some water (but she's obviously drinking as we've been working with her for over two weeks; maybe three).

Dawg53 from this forum recommended we give her a piece of bread soaked with olive oil (or two) so that if something is stuck in her throat/crop it might help it pass to the gizzard. He also told us to check for foul smell to her breath (sign of sour crop). Just checked, no foul smell. Will feed her the olive oil soaked bread that was recommended if she makes it through the night and let you know.

Just an FYI, we were using the Tylan 200; half a cc in two doses 48 hours apart. However, we've since been told that the Tylan 50 that you have is easier on the chickens. Good luck.

Finally some good news! Our sick wyandotte seems to be at 100% after the second dose of Eprinex.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice; you certainly saved one nice chicken
smile.png

Herman -- any luck?

Hey everybody. I have a flock of 15 adult birds and 5 babies, w of which are 4 weeks old and 3 that are 7 weeks old. Some of the adult birds have gapeworm. It started out a few months ago as what I thought was a respiratory infection..I treated them with antibiotics they kinda sorta got better but not really...I didnt have a clue about anything called gapeworm. So I have been reading reading reading on what else might be the problem with my birds and stumbled across info on gapeworm. Sure enough. It was like a light bulb came on. I have actually seen a couple of these disgusting things. All of my birds are shiny and healthy looking but some cough and do the head shake thing...1 in particular (a white rock hen) really has it the worst. My question is I bought some of the safeguard goat wormer today after reading a post on here that said that was a good thing to use....now I'm finding stuff about ivermectin...which I also have because I worm my horses with it. If you were me, which would you use and should I just dose the adult birds? It scares me to think the poison might harm the little ones who seem really uninfected so far. I keep a really REALLY clean coop and henhouse...

congrats on your success mark. I am still battling with whatever this is. The worming got rid of the gapeworm but what ever is showing up is the same gaping motion but upon death I cannot find gapeworm in the windpipe Tylan 50 does not cure problem. I am going to try oxine fogger when it arrives monday or tuesday. I only lost a couple of hens with the gapeworm but I have lost 8 birds with this secondary gape motion in the birds. totaly lost for explanation. Have 2 more hens with the gaping motion and hoarse sound. I have posted about this problem several times but no one seems to have any idea what it is

Herman

Last edited:
Quote:
I would use the safeguard liquid goat wormer. Administer orally using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Use 2/10's cc for the 3 weeks olds, 1/4cc for the 7 week olds. Redose them all in 10 days, another 10 days after that. Gapeworms are tough to get rid of. You'll need to setup a worming schedule to prevent reinfection....I recommend once a quarter. I suggest you purchase valbazen as well and use it in rotation with the safeguard and ivermectin, rotating wormers prevents worm resistance to one particular wormer.

Thank-You so much for the info and the suggestions. I will definitely get them on a worming schedule. Funny, I grew up on a commercial chicken farm that my Dad managed but I dont remember them worming the birds. Looks like I'm going to have to go back to the feedstore and get a smaller syringe before I can give any of them anything! The kid sold me a huge one that goes from 1 ml to 30 ml. I sell the eggs from my birds to pay for their keep ~ how long do I need to discard their eggs? If you think there's something better for the treatment of the gapeworm I can return the goat wormer when I go back for another syringe.

Quote:
I hadnt read anything about the eprinex...I've been all over the net reading and reading and reading. I KNEW there was something going on besides a respiratory infection. They just didnt get over it like I thought they should with the antibiotics. So glad I ran across a site that described the symptons of gapeworm....what I thought was bloody mucous on the waterer one morning was one of those nasty gapeworms. I checked everybody and nobody had any injuries so thought what I saw was a little weird till I found that site. I sure hope I can get rid of them. Every single one of my birds is a pet, has a name and a distinct personality. I sure dont want to lose any.
sad.png

dawg53
You have helped so many people on this site you may not remember my case. After positive id of gapeworm in dead bird I wormed with 5 cc of eprinex on skin. after 3 days with no improvement you suggested safeguard in mouth- my personal health problems put me out of commission so I placed the safeguard in only source of water for 2 days. I have the valbazan on hand and will administer it this friday in mouth for follow up worming. I have not found any sign of gapeworm in last 5 birds that have died and I gave tylan 50 for 4 days without any improvement Could my problem possibly still be gape worm???

Herman

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom