UDDERLY RIDICULOUS - Feds mooove against farmer – for having cows!

Quote:
Agreed, it's outrageous. Any suggestions?

One way, is to get signed up for alerts over at www.ftcldf.org so that when things come up, you can call the appropriate person to let them know what is right, and what they should not be doing.
Lawmakers do listen to the majority, so the more people that stand up for real foods, grown the real way, the better off we can be.
Also get involved in whatever co-ops and organizations you have in your area, that stand for what is right.
Buy Local, and raise and consume local!
Get your neighbors, or church members interested in these things, by giving tours and serving fresh products.
Offer classes!

Check out this blog post that came up today, from a favorite blogger of mine.
Make sure and watch the video too!
http://www.cheeseslave.com/2010/02/...itional-cooking/comment-page-1/#comment-34965
You may think students being shot down in the streets is more serious than the food crisis we currently face in America. I beg to differ. Just look at the epidemics of autism, childhood obesity, childhood diabetes, allergies, etc. Not to mention the astronomical rise of cancer and heart disease, adult diabetes and cancer… shall I go on?

We’ve got equally devastating tragedies right here, right now in the US. We may not see the blood, but people are being killed just the same. And it’s all sanctioned by the FDA.​

States with large dairy "industries" like Wisconsin, Vermont, New York and Michigan (yes, we are a large dairy state), tend to have stricter food laws so that little guys can't compete with the larger farms. There is a farm just south of town that is certified organic and the cows are on pasture (and no puppy mills!) but it was an existing dairy that coverted to organic, not a new one starting up.

Good news though, a lot of dairy producers in our county have stopped using hormones on their cows.

A lot of Amish and Mennonites have large families and produce all their own cheese. A family of 6 or 7, drinking milk at every meal and eating a two servings of cheese a day would go through quite a bit of milk. A few cows would be needed to meet the demand.

Quote:
Really? I have never had that. Is it the county you are in? Or are you raising hogs for sale or something?

It is state.
The inspections are mostly because we feed them bread along with their regular feed. . In Texas, if you feed bread, you have to have a permit to do so.
They come and inspect every month, without notice.
It is illegal to feed hogs any meat or meat by-product. This is for disease control.
An intact 6 month old or older hog can't be sold legally in Texas without blood being drawn and tested for Pseudorabies and Swine Brucellosis either at the sale barn or a negative test was obtained within the previous 30 days, unless coming from a herd that has a recognized disease status.

There is much more info you can find at http://www.tahc.state.tx.us

Jean

How do they know what you are feeding your hogs?

Quote:
We have Amish families that live about 3 miles from us. They are allowed to have a phone but it must be in the field in a small "shed". It is to be used only in emergencies, to call someone for transportation (for destinations farther away than their buggies go), and to conduct business. It is not for pleasure or just to talk to someone. I wondered about it too until I asked them. They have a baked goods store (yummy!
droolin.gif
)

If the feds had showed up on my doorstep, I would have immediately asked for a warrent. Geesh, and they wonder why people hate the Federal Government! (said in generality....So any feds out there lurking...Don't come a knockin'!)
hide.gif

Last edited:
Not yet. If the FDA ever gets the go ahead though, everyone that is registered to sell eggs, will be the first to get visits.
Add to that, that we are all "taught" to rat out the neighbor for whatever reason.

Quote:
Warrant. Sometimes that sounds like a good idea, but when the FEDS are involved any judge is probably gonna roll over and play dead for them, so what's the point?

Actually my first thought would be how they got through the padlocked gate......sounds like farmer Joe needs to lock his gate too. All the owners can have their own key!!!

Godsgrl
When you buy an intact pig 6 months of age or older at a Texas sale barn, Texas Animal Health gets your name, address and phone number from the sale barn office.
You receive a clear or hold notice from them regarding the blood that was drawn at the sale barn.
Then, it is your responsibility to have the hog tested every year. So, the state knows who buys hogs at every sale barn.
This information goes to USDA. They come out and test for free every year.
Anyway, when they come out to perform the test, they take notice of what you have around...and we had bread that we were feeding them.
So...in order to continue to feed bread, we had to get a permit to feed bread and produce to the hogs.

If I have my information correct, USDA can come onto your property at any time.
I'm not 100% certain on that point, there may be a clause about a locked gate.

PacsMan
All chicken owners in Texas are supposed to be tested by USDA for Typhoid-Pullorum once a year, even if you just have a few. This test is free, and it is illegal to sell any poultry without having this.
And we have to have another certificate in order to sell poultry at auctions, flea markets, etc. This one costs us annually.

So...yes...we get inspected and tested regularly.

ETA: Texas also regulates eating eggs through USDA....more inspections and fees!!!!!

Jean

Last edited:
Quote:
I guess I won't invite anyone over for dinner =\\ I used to take homemade goat cheese to potlucks all the time, but milk supply is low right now
hide.gif

Quote:
I have yet to hear of poisonings or illness from a family farm. I agree, we must stand up and be heard!
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom