Unbalanced and Lethargic Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyBird

This semester of school is finally over, I can be here more often! Yeah, Daisy was such a beautiful girl :) With school over, I can start cleaning now to get ready for some new babies. The fair isn't until August, so I have a long wait unless some feed stores have a few to sell before then. Like I said a while back, many only sell a minimum of six birds, and I can't take that many :/

I guess they do the minimum order of 6 for their own well being. So that they won't be alone and they can keep each other warm. But since they're gonna be house chickens, you might not want 6 of them around!
D.gif
At my farm store, we don't really have minimum orders, but I think you have to buy at least 3, so I guess that's a minimum order. Do they have to be inside? Because if they didn't have to be inside, then you could probably go for the 6. But you also have to take into consideration if you really want 6. Ask around, find out whether some friends or family might be ordering some chicks, and have a few extra they could give to you or you could buy from them. Just an option. I hope that everything goes well with the new chicks! I wonder how the moving is going for MotherHenXoXo, and how Liliybug is doing. I hope that she gets better really soon. i think we both know how hard it is to lose one.
hit.gif
hit.gif

I guess they do the minimum order of 6 for their own well being. So that they won't be alone and they can keep each other warm. But since they're gonna be house chickens, you might not want 6 of them around!
D.gif
At my farm store, we don't really have minimum orders, but I think you have to buy at least 3, so I guess that's a minimum order. Do they have to be inside? Because if they didn't have to be inside, then you could probably go for the 6. But you also have to take into consideration if you really want 6. Ask around, find out whether some friends or family might be ordering some chicks, and have a few extra they could give to you or you could buy from them. Just an option. I hope that everything goes well with the new chicks! I wonder how the moving is going for MotherHenXoXo, and how Liliybug is doing. I hope that she gets better really soon. i think we both know how hard it is to lose one.
hit.gif
hit.gif

They also don't want people who know nothing about chickens buying them just because they're cute baby chicks, only to have nothing to do with them once they're not cute and tiny anymore. The minimum orders make sense, they're just inconvenient for me. I actually don't know anyone who has chickens or plans to get any. I live in the suburbs and the laws for keeping chickens here are crazy! Permits like you wouldn't believe, the coop has to be behind your house, not next to it or away from it, and I think the maximum amount you can have is five hens, no roosters. I couldn't even put a coop behind the house because that spot gets no sun and there isn't a lot of room because we have a pool. I wouldn't want them all cramped up in the shade all day :( Inside is really the only option for me, and six is way too many chickens running around the house! As long as there aren't any outbreaks like the bird flu last year, the fair in August is my best bet. There's always a big variety of birds and sometimes lots of babies! I really hope Lilybug is doing well! I can't wait for them to be moved out and in their new place! She's putting up such a good fight and I think the new environment and fresh air will do wonders for her. MotherHenXoXo is trying so hard with her! Losing them is so hard, especially after you try everything you can :(

They also don't want people who know nothing about chickens buying them just because they're cute baby chicks, only to have nothing to do with them once they're not cute and tiny anymore. The minimum orders make sense, they're just inconvenient for me. I actually don't know anyone who has chickens or plans to get any. I live in the suburbs and the laws for keeping chickens here are crazy! Permits like you wouldn't believe, the coop has to be behind your house, not next to it or away from it, and I think the maximum amount you can have is five hens, no roosters. I couldn't even put a coop behind the house because that spot gets no sun and there isn't a lot of room because we have a pool. I wouldn't want them all cramped up in the shade all day :( Inside is really the only option for me, and six is way too many chickens running around the house! As long as there aren't any outbreaks like the bird flu last year, the fair in August is my best bet. There's always a big variety of birds and sometimes lots of babies! I really hope Lilybug is doing well! I can't wait for them to be moved out and in their new place! She's putting up such a good fight and I think the new environment and fresh air will do wonders for her. MotherHenXoXo is trying so hard with her! Losing them is so hard, especially after you try everything you can :(

Yeah I really hope that Lilybug gets better.
1f414.png
1f44d.png
1f609.png
I didn't know that the chicken laws were so strict like that!
1f627.png
I guess I'm kind of lucky, because there are no such laws where I live. Almost everyone has roosters. I used to have one until something came and either attacked him, or someone stole him.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f413.png
But it's so sad because they do cock fighting.
1f628.png
1f413.png
1f44e.png
I actually started to wonder if someone stole him for that. But if it was a person, Macho would have been barking, but he just stared, then trotted off and went back to bed. I do miss Fluffy.
1f413.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png

1f414.png
1f44d.png
1f609.png
1f627.png
I guess I'm kind of lucky, because there are no such laws where I live. Almost everyone has roosters. I used to have one until something came and either attacked him, or someone stole him.
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f413.png
1f628.png
1f413.png
1f44e.png
I actually started to wonder if someone stole him for that. But if it was a person, Macho would have been barking, but he just stared, then trotted off and went back to bed. I do miss Fluffy.
1f413.png

1f414.png
1f44d.png
1f609.png
1f627.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f413.png
1f628.png
1f413.png
1f44e.png
1f413.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png
1f625.png

Hopefully he wasn't stolen for that :( I think it's absolutely disgusting that people force animals to fight just for entertainment.. I think if someone had stolen him, your dogs definitely would have been barking. Same for if something would have attacked. Is it possible he managed to get out and wandered off maybe?

Hopefully he wasn't stolen for that :( I think it's absolutely disgusting that people force animals to fight just for entertainment.. I think if someone had stolen him, your dogs definitely would have been barking. Same for if something would have attacked. Is it possible he managed to get out and wandered off maybe?

Well, he was already outside, because he was attacking my hens. I didn't want him to harm them, so we put him outside. He never wandered off, he always stayed next to the hens. But we did find a pile of feathers close to where he slept. He was probably trying to run away.
1f625.png
1f625.png
Macho was a great help.
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
I miss him though, he was soooo cute, I wish I could have kept him in his own place.
1f413.png
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
1f49c.png
1f61d.png
1f609.png

Well, he was already outside, because he was attacking my hens. I didn't want him to harm them, so we put him outside. He never wandered off, he always stayed next to the hens. But we did find a pile of feathers close to where he slept. He was probably trying to run away.
1f625.png
1f625.png
Macho was a great help.
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
I miss him though, he was soooo cute, I wish I could have kept him in his own place.
1f413.png
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
1f49c.png
1f61d.png
1f609.png
Aww it isn't good when they attack the others like that. I have four finches- three females and a male. We had to separate the male because he was going after the girls, and just a few weeks ago, we had to separate one of the girls because the others were picking on her and pulled all of the feathers out of her neck! Birds are just so mean to each other sometimes!

Aww it isn't good when they attack the others like that. I have four finches- three females and a male. We had to separate the male because he was going after the girls, and just a few weeks ago, we had to separate one of the girls because the others were picking on her and pulled all of the feathers out of her neck! Birds are just so mean to each other sometimes!

I know! It's one thing if someone doesn't like somebody else, but to rip out their feathers is a whole different situation! I don't know why birds are so mean to each other.
1f631.png
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f424.png
Luckily none of my hens have ever pulled out a single feather or drew blood when one of them pecks somebody else. Hopefully it stays that way!
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f424.png
1f49c.png
1f49c.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
1f609.png
1f61d.png

I know! It's one thing if someone doesn't like somebody else, but to rip out their feathers is a whole different situation! I don't know why birds are so mean to each other.
1f631.png
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f424.png
Luckily none of my hens have ever pulled out a single feather or drew blood when one of them pecks somebody else. Hopefully it stays that way!
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f424.png
1f49c.png
1f49c.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
1f609.png
1f61d.png
My finches are all siblings too. They were born and grew up together, so you'd think they wouldn't have problems getting used to each other! And the big cage they were all in was huge! I'm glad your hens get along! Hopefully my new babies aren't aggressive toward each other at all once I get them!

My finches are all siblings too. They were born and grew up together, so you'd think they wouldn't have problems getting used to each other! And the big cage they were all in was huge! I'm glad your hens get along! Hopefully my new babies aren't aggressive toward each other at all once I get them!

That's nice that you give them a nice big home. Most people put them in tiny ones where they can hardly move around.
1f426.png
1f631.png
My great grandma has two little birds too. I'm not sure what kind they are though. One is blue and one is green. There really pretty, but they are SUPER loud. I'm much happier with the content(sometimes angry
1f609.png
1f414.png
) chirps and noises from my hens.
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f424.png
1f44d.png

Back
Top Bottom