Updated photos of my australorps and new chicken tractor

Snazzy pullets, Sequin

And yes, I think they are all pullets, also. Probably just short of or right at 20 weeks old?

Your husband must be a fine, resourceful builder.

I've had and have Australorps. They are one of the very best.

Steve

Do you have any windows? Are the nests easy to remove the eggs? Have you planned out how much effort that it takes to fill the feeders every so often?

If I was you Id put hanging feeders and waterer under the hen house. I would hang them from the bottom to keep them dry and out of the weather! Just a thought.

TIP: Dont put the roost across your path if you have to enter the coop! I did for mine and I had to rearrange it to make it a heck of lot easier to fill the feeders and waterer.

Last edited:
Those are the healthiest, smoothest looking Austrolorps I've ever seen. Beautiful. And great tractor!!! Your hubby's a genius.

jumpy.gif
Thanks so much for the compliments. I am very proud of my little flock. A couple of them are cuddly, and some are less so, but they are all friendly and allow themselves to be picked up. I love how they all start talking to me when they hear my voice in the morning as I make the rounds feeding and watering.

Thanks too for the great tips and suggestions! The tractor actually has a full size door built into the frame on the opposite side of the one pictured. The nest boxes are in the coop and the entire back opens up. The roost is in there as well placed higher than the nesting boxes. I am planning on hanging a feeder and waterer, but my waterer was broken when moving the tractor. So the cups are temporary water location and for now(until it starts raining) I feed them on the ground. I do have a feeder that will get mounted soon.
wink.png

Yup, you guessed it, they are about 20 weeks old. So nice to hear from those who have experience with this breed. So far I am very pleased with our selection. I would like to add an easter egger or two(oh, who am I kidding? I want like 20), next spring. Obviously we will need to expand. My concern with that breed though is something I read - that they have some sort of gene.... oh, what was it called.?. Like the 'death gene' or something odd like that. Can anyone explain that to me? What it is and what it means? That would be great!

Many thanks again too for putting my mind at ease about pullets or roos amongst my little flock. I am really looking forward to the eggs and also to what all entertainment this girls continue to bring me/us. I will post more pictures again when I get a chance.

Hope everyone has a great evening!!!
wink.png

Oh, what beautiful girls. I have one black australorp and just adore her. I love the beetle green sheen of their coloring and their sweet temperments. The tractor is great. Kudos to your hubby. Well done.

Anne

I've just got my first chickens today, 6 beautiful Australorps
smile.png
. They seem a bit unfriendly (but then they have just moved!) and I was wondering if you had any tips on how to get on their friendly side! And thanks for the tips aout flying - I've just run out and put shade cloth over the top of my run!

Quote:
Oh dear, I just removed the netting covering our run because leaves were getting caught up in it. I was hoping to leave it off for the winter.

Long sigh............I miss my birds..............It's hard to go out to the barn, feathers still everywhere...........I want Black Australorps...........and Buff Hooligans (I mean Orpingtons)..........and Rose Sexlinks..................and Barred Rocks.............and EE's.................and African Geese...........ducks and turkeys too............and a milk cow..........
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom