Using the UK dosage for Safe-guard?

Julieschicks

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
Pearland, TX
I found roundworms in one of the droppings this morning. First experience with worms so I've been doing tons of research all morning! I was reading about zero egg withdrawals with the .45mg/lb dosage for 5 days that the UK uses. Anyone follow this dosage with success? Does it also require a re-dose 10 or so days later like other dosages? Is it even FEASIBLE to dose such a small amount?? That would be around .002mL per bird. What, would I just let them lick the syringe? :rolleyes: We're currently getting around 4dz eggs a week. I just cannot even fathom throwing away like 14dz eggs using the standard .23mL/lb in 2 doses plus withdrawal time!! :hit:hit:hit:hit:hit

Thanks! That's a good option. I only worry that the hens at the end of the pecking line won't end up getting much of their share, and the "alpha" ladies will eat more of theirs!

Maybe split the feed up into multiple dishes and separate into multiple groups of birds to minimize them being kept away? Makes it a bit more complicated and laborious. I've always direct dosed my birds for this very reason.

I found roundworms in one of the droppings this morning. First experience with worms so I've been doing tons of research all morning! I was reading about zero egg withdrawals with the .45mg/lb dosage for 5 days that the UK uses. Anyone follow this dosage with success? Does it also require a re-dose 10 or so days later like other dosages? Is it even FEASIBLE to dose such a small amount?? That would be around .002mL per bird. What, would I just let them lick the syringe? :rolleyes: We're currently getting around 4dz eggs a week. I just cannot even fathom throwing away like 14dz eggs using the standard .23mL/lb in 2 doses plus withdrawal time!! :hit:hit:hit:hit:hit

The formula is similar to what I wrote in the other thread. This time it's weight of bird in pounds, times the dose in mg per pound, divide by the number of mg per ml.
5 pounds x 0.45 mg/pound / 100 mg/ml = 0.0225 ml per 5 pounds.
0.0225 ml is about one drop.

The formula is similar to what I wrote in the other thread. This time it's weight of bird in pounds, times the dose in mg per pound, divide by the number of mg per ml.
5 pounds x 0.45 mg/pound / 100 mg/ml = 0.0225 ml per 5 pounds.
0.0225 ml is about one drop.

Yeah, that's where I got confused. You are dividing by 100, where all the conversion calculators I've looked at are dividing by 1000 to go from mg to ml. :idunno

Yeah, that's where I got confused. You are dividing by 100, where all the conversion calculators I've looked at are dividing by 1000 to go from mg to ml. :idunno
Maybe someone can explain this better than I can.
  • 1 ml of 100% pure water = 1000 mg of water
  • 1 ml of Safeguard = 10% fenbendazole and 90% "stuff". One ml of Safeguard has 10 mg of fenbendazole and 90 mg of "stuff"
If Safeguard were 100% pure fenbendazole then you would divide by 1000.

Does that help or make it more confusing?

Maybe someone can explain this better than I can.
  • 1 ml of 100% pure water = 1000 mg of water
  • 1 ml of Safeguard = 10% fenbendazole and 90% "stuff". One ml of Safeguard has 10 mg of fenbendazole and 90 mg of "stuff"
If Safeguard were 100% pure fenbendazole then you would divide by 1000.

Does that help or make it more confusing?
Oooohhhh! Yes, that makes perfect sense! Thank you!!

Oooohhhh! Yes, that makes perfect sense! Thank you!!
Oh good! Here is a picture for the visual people:
safeguard_syringe_1.png

So you think a drop from a small eye dropper is about the right dose? I think I have a bottle of baby gas drops I can steal the dropper from to use. Probably the easiest way to get just a drop each. I’ll probably try to dose them at bedtime tonight. Thank you so much for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom