Question on Safe-Guard vs Aquasol product info

Kiki, see the european link -> Panacur makes a product named aquaso that is the exact same (might be a question of patents of distributors)

I don't plan on buying Aquasol, I just want to talk about the dosages and why they difer that much :)
They aren't the same product and don't treat the same exact things.

What worms do you want to treat?
Broad range, I am interested in the general question of this as a broad range treatment.

The sources I found showed that the 1 to 2mg/kg = 0.5to1mg/lb of body weight were efficiently (>90% reduction) treating 3 types worms - capillaria (100%), Ascaridia galli = roundworm (91%) and Heterakis gallinarum =cecal worm (98%). So I am wondering if the other types of worms for which this has not been tested yet would be the reason why we are usually treating with 23mg/lb of fenbendazole per pound of body weight instead of the 0.5-1mg/ lb of body weight that those 3 have been shown to respond to when using Aquasol.

Kiki -> yes, this is precisely my question. I am wondering if the above I just wrote is the reason or if the formulation somehow s the reason that the dosage of fenbendazole (not product, but the molecule itself, once accounting for dilution) goes from 23mg to 0.5-1mg/lb of body weight.

I think it's safe to say that there are only 2 likely reasons, at this stage, with all the sources presented (I think at least!): either the worms that are not yet accounted for in the studies I cited are the reason or something else in the composition is the reason, but I fail to see what inactive ingredient would have such an effect on the dosage... so maybe the worms are the reason? I basically wanted your opinion since you guys are used to treating chickens :)

I'm not saying those are. They all are fenbendazole.

I'm saying the Aquasol has a different dosing amount because it is different than the goat liquid.
ah

Yes, one has 100 mg fenbendazole per ml, the other has 200 mg fenbendazole per ml

If you give hens the 1 mg/kg dose, the fenbendazole residue in the eggs does not exceed the max fenbendazole residue allowed. However, other worms, like capillary worms, need more aggressive treatment, and with those amounts, there is too much fenbendazole residue in the eggs.

Does that make sense?

The sources I found showed that the 1 to 2mg/kg = 0.5to1mg/lb of body weight were efficiently (>90% reduction) treating 3 types worms - capillaria (100%), Ascaridia galli = roundworm (91%) and Heterakis gallinarum =cecal worm (98%).
The studies I have seen show much higher doses for capillary worms, and the Aquasol literature says it's contraindicated for capillary worms at the labeled dose.

Back
Top Bottom