Can Corid & Safeguard AQUASOL both be mixed in water at same time?

ddboersma

Songster
May 2, 2022
I need to treat my flock for both coccidiosis and tapeworm. My vet was able to do fecal testing but would not recommend treatment as they don’t treat poultry.
I paid to have a poultry vet recommend treatment on JustAnswer.com. I was told to use Corid and Fenbendazole and that they could be used together. She gave me dosage info to orally give to each bird, but I am not comfortable with that. I’m pretty sure I caused the death of one of my first hens getting liquid down the wrong hole😭
I found the Safeguard Aquasol that can be mixed in water (unlike the Safeguard goat dewormer they have at Tractor supply).
Does anyone know if it’s safe for both of these to be mixed in water at same time?? Or anyone have any luck feeding a bird their dosage of Fenbendazole in a small amount of food? Thanks in advance for your help!

Should be fine to treat both at once. Dodge the very confirm coccidiosis? How old are your hens?
My flock of 12 ranges in age from 16 weeks to 9months. I had 2 birds die. One being 8 months, the other 15 weeks at the time.
I had a fecal test done and came back with tapeworm, Eimeria sp. oocysts, and monocystis sp. spores present. I treated for coccidiosis previously, and just finished 2nd round this past Friday. I did this when I had a hen acting sick and found bloody/foamy stool in the cage she was quarantined. She perked up and recovered. In between rounds of Corid another bird was found dead. The day after I started my 2nd round another bird starting acting sick and eventually died as well. I gathered whatever of her stool I could to test, as well as a random sample from my flock. The bird that died came back with nothing in her stool (I’m not sure how fresh it was and if that would make a difference), but the random sample came back with those 3 things.
The vet I consulted online said the 2 treatments could be used together, but she wasn’t suggesting I use both of the kinds you add to water (together), so I wasn’t sure.
Thank you for your input!

Should be fine to treat both at once. Dodge the very confirm coccidiosis? How old are your hens?
I’m also nervous to treat my flock with Corid again. I gave nutridrench, probiotics and electrolytes for 3 days AFTER the second round was completed, and feel like I’m messing with their systems so much.😞

I need to treat my flock for both coccidiosis and tapeworm.

I had a fecal test done and came back with tapeworm, Eimeria sp. oocysts, and monocystis sp. spores present. I treated for coccidiosis previously, and just finished 2nd round this past Friday.
Foamy bloody poop that's not responding to Corid, then use a Sulfa drug (like SMZ-TMP) or Toltrazuril (Endocox).

Tapeworms are treated with Praziquantel. You can find Equimax paste at TSC. Dosing and other products that can be used are found in this link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

To give oral medication this article may help you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

FWIW, Safeguard Aquasol is a convenient formula of Fenbendazole that can be given in the flock's water so one does not have to direct dose birds. This formula given at the dose specified on their labeling will treat Roundworms (and Cecal worms) only. It's not going to treat Tapeworms.
1658322953770.jpeg

1658322936734.jpeg

Foamy bloody poop that's not responding to Corid, then use a Sulfa drug (like SMZ-TMP) or Toltrazuril (Endocox).

Tapeworms are treated with Praziquantel. You can find Equimax paste at TSC. Dosing and other products that can be used are found in this link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

To give oral medication this article may help you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

FWIW, Safeguard Aquasol is a convenient formula of Fenbendazole that can be given in the flock's water so one does not have to direct dose birds. This formula given at the dose specified on their labeling will treat Roundworms (and Cecal worms) only. It's not going to treat Tapeworms.
View attachment 3193219

View attachment 3193217
Thank you for this info!
Can you tell me if the Equimax paste is easier to administer orally than a liquid? Is it in fact thicker?
I’m trying to research Endocox and can’t find poultry dosing. I wasn’t sure if I should go by the 1tsp per gallon of water on these exotic bird websites that sell it? Thank you for your time!

I agree safeguard won't treat tapeworms, but Praziquantel will. You can give both Corid and worm them at once, but just be prepared for possible diarrhea and odd poops while dosing.
Thank you! Do you know if the Equimax paste is easy enough to measure and administer? It sounds daunting trying to weigh my birds and get something down their throats but will probably have to try at night.

Thank you for this info!
Can you tell me if the Equimax paste is easier to administer orally than a liquid? Is it in fact thicker?
I’m trying to research Endocox and can’t find poultry dosing. I wasn’t sure if I should go by the 1tsp per gallon of water on these exotic bird websites that sell it? Thank you for your time!
Equimax needs to be given straight to the mouth/beak. Do not mix it with water.

Aquasol is the only dewormer that can be mixed with water but it doesn't treat tapeworms.

Corid is not a dewormer. It can be mixed with water.

Thank you! Do you know if the Equimax paste is easy enough to measure and administer? It sounds daunting trying to weigh my birds and get something down their throats but will probably have to try at night.
It's easy to measure out with a syringe.
You don't need exact weights for each bird. How many birds do you have total? All the same age? Large fowl or bantams?

Back
Top Bottom