Utah!

How do you find the local laws on how many chickens you can keep? Should it be online somewhere? I've gotten a variety of answers from other people in Logan. Some say 4 hens and no roosters, some say none legally in Logan limits, some say there is no regulation on how many hens and not even one against roosters unless he annoys your neighbors and they call him in for a noise violation.

Last edited:
New member. Love the site. Picked up 10 chicks within the last 2 weeks from chase hatchery. So far so good. Post from another member said they heard not so good things. Yes its a little crowded. But I couldnt find any Brahmas, locally and other hatcheys online were sold out and she was the only one that was hatching. Anybody have experience with her chicks? If so, how are they doing? Any problems? What is the Quality?

New member. Love the site. Picked up 10 chicks within the last 2 weeks from chase hatchery. So far so good. Post from another member said they heard not so good things. Yes its a little crowded. But I couldnt find any Brahmas, locally and other hatcheys online were sold out and she was the only one that was hatching. Anybody have experience with her chicks? If so, how are they doing? Any problems? What is the Quality?

Welcome! I've never used her, but the overall sentiment I've received from this thread is that last year her setup was definitely below par. Crowded, dirty, and sick chicks. This year, from what I've gathered, she has done a better job of fixing those issues. I haven't seen any complaints as of recent, but that could be because BYCers have not been using her?

Thanks for the nice welcome! I have a coop question for ya'll. I'm currently figuring out exactly what I want, and then will enlist my craftsman brother to help me build it. Do you have preference on the next boxes being outside of the coop in their own hinged box, or inside the coop structure? Currently I've been leaning towards on the outside, for ease of gathering eggs (as long as they decide to lay in there!). Just curious what people's personal preference was and why.

Here's some pictures of our girls.

Jasmine, a sliverlaced wyandotte. She's a bossy little thing! I think she's going to run the coop!

Lola, a Barred Rock. She's had a bit of a traumatic start here with us. I thought I was cleaning pasty butt off her, and some dried poop off of her but it turned out to be her umbilical cord stump that I tugged on. (this was on Friday). She's been ok, eating, drinking, and moving around, but she's also very lethargic. Maybe that's just her nature, to be a sleepy chick. She's also the chirpy-est! Gets quite loud in there, until I pick her up and then she just stops and falls asleep in my hand.

This is Mely, our Buff Orpington. I wasn't going to get this breed, but my 7 year old daughter needed to have a yellow chick. :) Funny girl, so this is pretty much her chick. She's giving our Wyandotte a run for her money as head of the coop!

And this one is Cici, our Black Sexlink. She's our 5 year old sons chick of choice.

But I am loving having them so far! I can see how easy it can be to multiply my flock. I kinda feel like I'm in a Pokemon world, where I gotta catch them all! :)

-Krystal

How do you find the local laws on how many chickens you can keep? Should it be online somewhere? I've gotten a variety of answers from other people in Logan. Some say 4 hens and no roosters, some say none legally in Logan limits, some say there is no regulation on how many hens and not even one against roosters unless he annoys your neighbors and they call him in for a noise violation.

One of the Animal Control officers was on here for awhile...from Logan. He is also a friend of mine. When IO asked him last summer he said that Logan is very relaxed and basically unless someone complains there is not a problem. Even with Roosters. But people do complain, so I would check with neighbors in advance of keeping a rooster. When I asked him how many, there is a calculation about how many square feet your property is, but you can have quite a few based on that. If you are planning on having a lot I can look up the square footage..it was so many birds per square feet-- but based on our lot size (if we did not have animal rights) we could have 50 or so. And with animal rights it is more than I want to think about or I will be in trouble. :D

Last edited:
Neurotic new-mom here. It's officially been 24 hours since our four new fuzzies joined the family. I've adjusted their heat lamp like 20x, soaked and cleaned one bum just in case (I think it was just a little dirty, not blocked), and have spent more time sitting on the floor watching them do their thing than I have anything else. How on EARTH am I going to be able to go to to work tomorrow?!!

Neurotic new-mom here. It's officially been 24 hours since our four new fuzzies joined the family. I've adjusted their heat lamp like 20x, soaked and cleaned one bum just in case (I think it was just a little dirty, not blocked), and have spent more time sitting on the floor watching them do their thing than I have anything else. How on EARTH am I going to be able to go to to work tomorrow?!!

Goodbye clean house lol.

I know exactly what you mean! I think I get more done with a newborn human baby at home than new chicks. They are so cute and fun to watch.

Thanks, acemario and La Casa De Pollo. Sounds like I should be good then. I'm just planning on my 8 girls and our yard is a decent size.

littlerockflwr - I wasn't sure I wanted a buff either but over and over again I read that they could be such sweet chickens. I'm glad I did get her because she is the sweetest, cuddliest of the bunch! As soon as she jumps in our hands she nestles down for a nap. Our Barred Rock (another I wasn't sure I wanted) is the friendliest. She's the first one to jump in our hands but she has to be up looking around and be close to us but not necessarily cuddley. Our Gold Laced Wyandotte would come next on our list of loving to be held.

Regarding Logan Chicken ordinances--the last time it was presented to city council ---see minutes here, you have to click on the second paragraph to view the minutes:

http://www.loganutah.org/search/sea....cfm&ref=www.loganutah.org/&ss=1544j224500j13

It was determined when a concerned prop owner wanted an ordinance regarding chickens, that they did not want to make any more rules than the "don't be a nuisance" rule. Good for Logan.

Back
Top Bottom