Utah!

Oh Cynthia ya! Happens every winter actually , up ten, spring, down 10....but cookie time took me up 15 + haha! (Cookies all spring = carrots sticks and broccoli all summer and fall!) And about ten yrs ago I got up 40 from where I am now. I never stay the same... I like my food way too much. Then I have to suffer through to get it off. I have to say my chickens have helped me this winter a little, I am getting out more and doing stuff outside that I never would have before :0 Thanks girls! But I still have some suffering to do before Summer gets here. I am always fighting the good fight haha! Get this----my hub lost almost 30 pounds over the last two months worrying about his dad before he passed away, how sad! I would not wish that on anybody. Will be glad for my appetite. We are always on a diet at my house tho-- Psshhh!! A way of life more and more the last few years.

So everybody is hatching cute chicks, and my run and coop are so sadly small--you guys are making me chicken crazy :/ BUT I went out today and cleaned the coop out, and the realization hit me---more chickens, more poop---never really thought it out. It was GROSS out there. So that helped to keep my visions of dozens of chickens in check :th I did get the DE all over the place, all over my girls, everywhere to be sure we do not get mites. I did not see any on the two or three I got a look at so hopefully we are ok. I had white eyelashes when I came in so I must have been pretty thorough =D

Oh Cynthia ya! Happens every winter actually , up ten, spring, down 10....but cookie time took me up 15 + haha! (Cookies all spring = carrots sticks and broccoli all summer and fall!) And about ten yrs ago I got up 40 from where I am now. I never stay the same... I like my food way too much. Then I have to suffer through to get it off. I have to say my chickens have helped me this winter a little, I am getting out more and doing stuff outside that I never would have before :0 Thanks girls! But I still have some suffering to do before Summer gets here. I am always fighting the good fight haha! Get this----my hub lost almost 30 pounds over the last two months worrying about his dad before he passed away, how sad! I would not wish that on anybody. Will be glad for my appetite. We are always on a diet at my house tho-- Psshhh!! A way of life more and more the last few years.
So everybody is hatching cute chicks, and my run and coop are so sadly small--you guys are making me chicken crazy
hmm.png
BUT I went out today and cleaned the coop out, and the realization hit me---more chickens, more poop---never really thought it out. It was GROSS out there. So that helped to keep my visions of dozens of chickens in check
th.gif
I did get the DE all over the place, all over my girls, everywhere to be sure we do not get mites. I did not see any on the two or three I got a look at so hopefully we are ok. I had white eyelashes when I came in so I must have been pretty thorough
big_smile.png
I did the same thing that your hubby did! Only is was because of my moms passing. I knew she was in the final days, just didn't know how long for sure. I lost soo much weight. I got down to a 0/2 size! I looked awful The kids kept telling me to eat. They thought I was doing it on purpose. I said, I do eat. Then I started to take notice, and when I sat down at the dinner table, I found myself picking. I never stopped moving around. I was constantly cleaning, mowing the lawn, planting new trees and bushes because we had just moved into a new home with no trees or bushes. I didn't realize how I looked until one day I went to shop with some friends. I found a dress that I thought I might take to a Mexico trip we were going on. When I tried it on, and looked into that full length mirror, I was shocked! It fit, boy did it fit! The girls with me said, we're jealous ya know. I couldn't believe they were, I looked like I was starving myself. Boy, stress can take a lot out of you. Got to Mexico that year, just to get stuck there because of Hurricane Wilma. Huge. C 5 going all up the coast we were on. On the day of evacuation, I fell. Long story...but because I had a shoulder strap holding my arm up when we finally got to go home, the news media loved it..someone got hurt! We were on national news! Our sons hat made it onto the internet..he bought one, most of us did from a place across the street from where we were placed..the hat said, I survived Hurricane Wilma. It hit Florida at a 3.

Last edited:
You look fantastic in that picture, Cynthia!!

I'm willing to be a girl scout leader, but not the cookie manager (shudders).

I'm feeling quite discouraged. I don't see any improvement in Hulksmash's leg, even though I'm doing physical therapy 8-10 times a day.

Hello Ut. I am in Magna. Have spent almost a year getting ready for chicks. First all the research, then coop planing (plan design and build my own) and now waiting for my first chicks. Not doing the hatching thing. Want to get chicks and work from there this time. Have been reading this group for awhile now and figure it is time to join. even watch chicks online cam (family calls chicken pron but they will watch also). I am hoping to get chicks soon. So far none of the feed stores have any. Well that is me. 2cats 1 dog 1 teenager few dozen fish (5 I hope soo chicks) and 1 very understanding wife (she thinks I am carzy).

So the IFA in Lindon is getting in chicks soon! We're looking to get 4 chicks to add to our flock. Does anyone have any experiance with IFA chicks? They are not getting in any Silkie chicks and we were wanting to get at least one silkie for my daughter since she loves them. Does anyone know of someone who carries sexed silkies?

If you just want laying hens than the IFA chicks are great. They usually get them from Murray McMurray or the likes. That's where I got most of my birds up until now. Don't know about the silkies but ask IFA if you can special order some. They will come with a later order but if the hatchery they order from carries them then they can get them for you.

Hello Ut. I am in Magna. Have spent almost a year getting ready for chicks. First all the research, then coop planing (plan design and build my own) and now waiting for my first chicks. Not doing the hatching thing. Want to get chicks and work from there this time. Have been reading this group for awhile now and figure it is time to join. even watch chicks online cam (family calls chicken pron but they will watch also). I am hoping to get chicks soon. So far none of the feed stores have any. Well that is me. 2cats 1 dog 1 teenager few dozen fish (5 I hope soo chicks) and 1 very understanding wife (she thinks I am carzy).

I'm cracking up over the "chicken pron". My chicks aren't sexed, but I don't want to have 6 GLW- I want to have a mixed flock. I'm looking to sell 3 or so, and since I'm not sure if they really are pure GLW, I'm looking for $3 each or so, or 3/$8. Oh, and we're on the same boat, my dh definitely thinks I'm out of my mind. This shouldn't come as any surprise, I've always been eccentric.

All right, off to do more physical therapy on poor Hulksmash.

You look fantastic in that picture, Cynthia!!

I'm willing to be a girl scout leader, but not the cookie manager (shudders).

I'm feeling quite discouraged. I don't see any improvement in Hulksmash's leg, even though I'm doing physical therapy 8-10 times a day.

What kind of therapy? The tape is still the best way to go. I had one that was pretty bad in the two hatches ago. I kept having to tape, and retape, until finally I decided to let it go for a day and see if the baby would start walking on it the right way. No slippery bottom of floor of course, which you don't have..you have the chips in there. Which by the way, are you getting lots of dust in that room? lol..my room is always needing a dust job where I keep my babies.
Hey, are you heading to pick up some eggs today? You will have to let me know how they look! I should be getting some this coming week.

And, guess what?? Dick is going to send me 12 to 15 chicks because his eggs just aren't going to make it here for some reason. Hopefully the P.O. will be on the ball, and because their will be chirping chicks, it will keep their attention, and get them sent! I sure hope they don't get lost in the mail! He's been so good. I didn't even ask for them. I did say that I noticed his ad for chicks..but I didn't dare order them, afraid of them being lost too, but he is going to send some nest Tues. anyway! He has lost a lot of money on all of this. I want to send him some. Any suggestions as to how much? Cost of shipping I am thinking for the second batch of eggs..that haven't even made it here yet, and, half the cost of the chick order? I feel bad for him. He didn't have to send the second batch, and he doesn't have to send chicks.

Cynthia, What happened to the second batch of eggs?! I think I would definitely give him the cost of shipping the second set AND the chicks, and then maybe half of that again as a "tip".

I'm taping and retaping, but I'm also taking her out 8-10 times a day and lifting her good leg a little, which forces her to stand on the weak leg. I also gently pull the hock out to where it ought to be. Or I get her leg lined up exactly how it should be, and kind of hold it in place. Within 10 seconds or so, I can feel that leg tremble a little, which I'm hoping means it's working the muscles.

How long did you have to tape? She has always been able to walk on her own, her leg just is at a slightly odd angle.

Yeah, I have been having to dust a lot with the shavings. Soon I'm going to put the lid on top and hopefully that will keep some of the dust down. The silly birds keep scratching and digging in the shavings down to the slippery glass bottom, so I had to buy that rubbery shelf liner to put at the bottom.

Cynthia--you do look way too thin in that pic!!! I like you just the way you are now :):) P.s.--I had 4 brownies for breakfast today. I only planned to have one, but ---brownines are like chickens. See a pattern with me? So much for no carbs lol. Guess I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your story....I am glad my DH is not the only one. I have been so worried, but if it is not only happening to him it helps me feel better and not so worried. Crazy about the Hurricane! I am glad you made it home ok.

Welcome Chickendad!!! I was in your place last Spring. I wished for 4 chickens, Then I had one more and one more and one more....oh my....they are addicting. Now I have 9 and am gearing up for a 'few' (haha) more this spring. Have fun and keep us posted on your new family! Your coop is awesome!

Sphinx, I can just picture this. The Chicken physical therapist :) I hope hulksmash makes it through to a full recovery, it won't be for lack of love and effort on your part! Lucky chicken!

Back
Top Bottom