Utah!

Eggsbert, I don't know much about the care of feather-footed breeds. I'm sorry :( I'm hoping Lisa or someone else with the more "exotic" breeds will jump on here soon to answer for you. All I know is that you want to keep the area dry, but alas, I know not how.

Thanks!

Also, do you guys have any tips on caring for my bantam frizzle cochin in the winter?
So far, she's been a tough little cookie. She's been out in the rain and mud, refusing to accept that she's smaller or different than the other chickens. No signs of illness in her.

Unfortunately, our coop and run are on the north side of the house and won't be getting a lot of sun in the winter, so not a lot of basking spots.
I've gone through and redone the bottom of the coop to help it drain better (it had been pooling water in the center). The roosting area is small, allowing our birds to be able to heat the space better at night.
I'm considering adding sand to help keep it dry for her feathered feet, but other than that I'm at a loss of how to keep her dry in the snow.
Not an expert either, but I did have a cochin and a silkie last winter. They did fine, although last year was very mild. I did learn all my chickens hated snow and would avoid it if possible.

Maybe you could cover part of the run? My run is fairly small (4' across) so I made a cover for it using an old shower curtain (translucent to still allow light), pvc pipe, and pvc pipe clamps. I attached it to the run using zip ties. Held up just fine.

My favorite memory from last winter was when I let the chickens out after the first snow. The barred rock didn't care and walked through the snow to get up by the house where it had melted. My cochin and gold sex-link refused to sully their feet and flew across the snow up to the house. The silkie, not to be left out, flapped her wings and took a majestic leap into the air to follow and face planted into a snow drift. (Then ran up to the house complaining loudly). I probably shouldn't have laughed, but...

Not an expert either, but I did have a cochin and a silkie last winter. They did fine, although last year was very mild. I did learn all my chickens hated snow and would avoid it if possible.

Maybe you could cover part of the run? My run is fairly small (4' across) so I made a cover for it using an old shower curtain (translucent to still allow light), pvc pipe, and pvc pipe clamps. I attached it to the run using zip ties. Held up just fine.

My favorite memory from last winter was when I let the chickens out after the first snow. The barred rock didn't care and walked through the snow to get up by the house where it had melted. My cochin and gold sex-link refused to sully their feet and flew across the snow up to the house. The silkie, not to be left out, flapped her wings and took a majestic leap into the air to follow and face planted into a snow drift. (Then ran up to the house complaining loudly). I probably shouldn't have laughed, but...

I could probably put out some lawn tables for them to go under and out of the snow. Their run is actually our side yard (about 20' by 15') under a giant plum (oh my god! these chickens and plums!).
The tree might help with some of the snow and our house plus the privacy link fencing will provide a wind barrier from 3 sides.

Poor little silkie! Our frizzle is surprisingly good at extended leaps even with her curled feathers.

Missing another hen this morning, and everyone has been penned. I don't even know what to say.

confused-monkey.jpg

Oh man! You free range, right?

I'm sticking with the Bermuda Triangle theory.
1f480.png
1f32b.png
1f32a.png
1f4a8.png

Sometimes I really have to wonder if that's the case. Yes, I free range, but my flock has been penned up for the last few days. I think we have a predator because something dug up the remains of an old rooster in another part of our yard. We're going to break out the traps again.

We made it to Aizona on Thursday. My horse arrived here in the morning and we Arrived with 30 chickens late Thursday night My friend picked up the seramas and moderns and the coop ordered was ready and waiting
for my layers, My poor layers don't
understand the coop thing. They are use to free ranging in my back year, They will get use to it I suppose. Only two are laying, the rest are moulting and pretty scruffy. the park people have never seen and olive egg or a pretty sky blue egg that the cream legbar lays the olive egger is her daughter out of hercules. I'm exhausted but all the birds are happy so is the horse and the dogs. I'll post some pictures of CLUCKINGHAM PALACE SOUTH when I get them I think I moved ro soon its 95 here today

Last edited:
Today, we were letting the girls free range, and I went to go check on them. We were missing our black australorp. I was frantic looking for her. Finally found her under a bush next to the coop. I had been worried she got out of the yard. Luckily not. So I picked her up and held her for a bit. I noticed she was a Stiff and ridged, with her feathers all fluffed Out. I quickly realized what was happening, and checked, and sure enough, an egg was half way out. Put my hand under just in time, and caught the egg. Just thought I would share that experience.

Sorry to go off topic but if any of you guys find yourself in North Logan for the Pumpkin walk, and it is after dusk, swing by my house and check out my carving display! 1520 East 1780 North, (Highland Drive). You access it from 1600 east.
I guarantee it is worth the look!

Back
Top Bottom