Utah!

Hope this is finding everyone well… it is foggy/smoggy up here in the greater Cache Valley once again today.
sad.png
It is so good to hear and or read of chick sightings and actual live birds in the hand, to entice one and all. I do believe the season is underway at last, I think that the Hyde Park IFA will have chicks in next week, so us northerners can get a chick fix as needed. OR, I suppose one could always swing by Lisa's Animal Emporium… and view her offerings.

I am looking round and about to see, if anyone has or knows of Icelandic chickens (aka Viking Hens). I am about to get my starter flock of Icees on the morrow, and was wondering if I could pick up some additional birds to go with them. Not sure whom has these other than Red. So if you have a spare bird, or know of someone who might have same, I am interested at the moment in these.
smile.png
Getting close in time for me to Free all the Roosters, and start collecting eggs.

Here is to lots of fertile pullet eggs for everyone this year.

RJ

Hope this is finding everyone well… it is foggy/smoggy up here in the greater Cache Valley once again today. :(  It is so good to hear and or read of chick sightings and actual live birds in the hand, to entice one and all. I do believe the season is underway at last, I think that the Hyde Park IFA will have chicks in next week, so us northerners can get a chick fix as needed. OR, I suppose one could always swing by Lisa's Animal Emporium… and view her offerings.

I am looking round and about to see, if anyone has or knows of Icelandic chickens (aka Viking Hens). I am about to get my starter flock of Icees on the morrow, and was wondering if I could pick up some additional birds to go with them. Not sure whom has these other than Red. So if you have a spare bird, or know of someone who might have same, I am interested at the moment in these. :)   Getting close in time for me to Free all the Roosters, and start collecting eggs.

Here is to lots of fertile pullet eggs for everyone this year.

RJ

Good afternoon RJ! The Idaho Chickenstock FB page has a post from Cheryl--asking who wants Icelandics. I meant to message you, I think I forgot lol! Unless it is in your "other" box on FB. I checked to make sure you were a member on there and your name was there so you should be able to access it, holler if you need help!
Good luck!

Last edited:
Good afternoon RJ! The Idaho Chickenstock FB page has a post from Cheryl--asking who wants Icelandics. I meant to message you, I think I forgot lol! Unless it is in your "other" box on FB. I checked to make sure you were a member on there and your name was there so you should be able to access it, holler if you need help!
Good luck!
Lisa,

I have a nice looking Bev Davis rooster that I purchased from Julie Akers on Bev's recommendation. He has been having a wonderful relationship with my Golden Cuckoo Marans. I wanted to offer a batch of eggs up to you once again for your kindness to me and the Utah thread here. No pressure of course, I just wanted to offer.

I have two Bev Davis pullets that I hope will be laying by May with the same rooster.
celebrate.gif

Lisa,

I have a nice looking Bev Davis rooster that I purchased from Julie Akers on Bev's recommendation. He has been having a wonderful relationship with my Golden Cuckoo Marans. I wanted to offer a batch of eggs up to you once again for your kindness to me and the Utah thread here. No pressure of course, I just wanted to offer.

I have two Bev Davis pullets that I hope will be laying by May with the same rooster. :celebrate  

Sid, you are so awesome to offer, but I am overrun with Marans and just keeping the pure b/b/s for now but thank you! If you come across a Blue CM roo, from good dark eggs let me know. I just got one back that is offspring from my current roo but need to find an unrelated one to put with some of my girls for breeding stock :D anytime over the next year or so, if everybody here keeps an eye out :D

Thanks again!

I think I am just about ready for a group of chickens. I was going to order some Cornish Cross but, in re-reading the order-form I would have to order 100 of them at a time. That is so not going to happen. My plan was to get 10 or so, grow them for 10 weeks, or so, Pack them off to camp while I start with 10 more for 10 more weeks and have them all put up by the time the Deer hunt starts.
What would you all suggest for a beginner chicken person who just wants a flock of meaties to begin with?

I know a few people on here love to incubate, do you sell them on KSL? here? What do you do with them?
I guess what Im getting at is, I would rather buy chicks from people on here than IFA if anyone is selling yummy birds, that will get reasonably big in 10 weeks or so; not beautiful & friendly pets or layers.

Also, for anyone interested in incubating, I have duck eggs that are likely fertile, though not tested. If you want to try your hand at ducks, let me know.

I think I am just about ready for a group of chickens.  I was going to order some Cornish Cross but, in re-reading the order-form I would have to order 100 of them at a time.  That is so not going to happen.  My plan was to get 10 or so, grow them for 10 weeks, or so, Pack them off to camp while I start with 10 more for 10 more weeks and have them all put up by the time the Deer hunt starts.  
          What would you all suggest for a beginner chicken person who just wants a flock of meaties to begin with?  

I know a few people on here love to incubate, do you sell them on KSL? here? What do you do with them?
   I guess what Im getting at is,  I would rather buy chicks from people on here than IFA if anyone is selling yummy birds, that will get reasonably big in 10 weeks or so; not beautiful & friendly pets or layers. 

Also, for anyone interested in incubating, I have duck eggs that are likely fertile, though not tested.  If you want to try your hand at ducks, let me know. 

I cannot speak to how fast they will grow, but I am trying my own experiment with crossing a dark Cornish rooster with duel purpose hens. Theoretically the offspring should be pretty good meat birds with decent growth rates. I'll probably try my first batch of there eggs in mid March. Most duel purpose breeds aren't really worth processing until close to 15-17 weeks, from my experience.

I got to meet RJ and his lovely wife today :) Thanks again for playing chicken train, RJ! I hope you two enjoy the new additions.

RJ was sweet enough to transport my chickies down from Ace (hi Ace!) When I got them home, I had to send a picture to the DH. This is how the conversation went:

DH: What's this?

Me: Dogs. They are ferocious attack dogs to guard our house and eat burglars.

DH: Ok good, so long as they aren't chicks for our house.

Me: Nope, these are man eaters!

I would like to introduce to the group my NEWEST additions. I'll have to get the names down from Red, but the head Icelandic rooster and two of his fine three hens are setting up shop in the big coop. He is a most striking bird. It does not hurt that he has caught Special K's heart either. I believe that they might even know they are further north…

Red was a most gracious and generous host of our meet. I enjoyed our too short of a visit, but was glad to meet her just the same. Chicken folks are just nice and for the most part real folks. I do like that. I'll try to add a few more shots of the birds and their first nights lodging. I do so enjoy the tone and pitch of the the crow of the new man of the place.

Thank you so much Red. Now my "Viking Farms ~ Hard Feather Bantams" is a true statement.

RJ

I might have played with the cargo… how could I not?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom