Utah!

Awesome. I removed the other two roosters from in with these birds about a week ago, so in another week or two, I'll be confident that the father of any fertile eggs was one of my two dark cornish roosters. Just let me know what time frame you are thinking.
where are you located? 3 to 4 weeks would be great and how much

My splash from Lisa has been a hard one to decide..girl .. boy? This morning I told him he was a boy. Just a bit ago when I went out to put my SG's and Silkies into their coop..they don't know how to get up the ramp yet..I heard that splash tell me that I was right! Nice loud crow for a beginner.
hmm.png
I was going to keep . . her, in there with the blue marans, but, will take him out now. I could have been able to tell eggs apart if it turned out to be a girl. Oh well, maybe I will get a splash from him from one of the other girls. I have a girl out there that is pretty...part blue C. Marans. Splash! I have three EE pullets too..but they probably won't be laying for another 3 months. I hope a collar works on this guy. For a while.

Thank you Cyn, and yes Red I am learning a lesson, or two. I don't know that Loki is fertile, but I am sure he is vatile. He sure knows how to wow the girls with that little wing flutter.
wink.png
So for names I've got Loki down. The one with the salmon breast is that the mother to Loki and the other hen of yours? Help me with her name, summer or winter? I am going to name the third hen Crazy Wild chicken. But I'll get her to calm down, I have the patience, at least I think I do. So if you can name them from those descriptions, I'll try to keep them straight.

I went out to chore some, and meant to do it, but ended up being an Ice Breaker. Almost got the cement pad clear and a good part of the asphalt as well. I'm a tad tired this evening, but satisfied that I was able to make a physical blow against the grasp of old man winter.
smile.png
If I get a minute tomorrow I'll get todays chores done. That sentence seems to be the story of my life. Thank you Red for allowing me to house those fine birds, I am going to learn to love a top knot aka tuft or crest. What is the term for the crest on the hen's head?

Cynthia, do you still have snow? I am always willing to share it, but really don't like to burden folks with it. It is good to see eggs and chicks trading hands and the network working as it should. I have the grandchildren this evening, I might be back on to seek solace…

RJ

Last edited:
RJ, it's called a crest :) The crested hen with lots of gold on her was Summer (like golden summer wheat) and her sister that is more muted color without the crest was Autumn. You can name them whatever you wish, though :)

If Loki isn't very potent yet, it's probably due to his young age. He's not even a year old, but I'm glad to hear he's dancing for the ladies. I recall that it took my other boys a bit to get very fertile, as well. Some of them, at least. :/

RJ..yes still have snow on the ground, but, it is melting fast! The front of our home faces north..so, more in the front than the back. It's getting really soggy around the runs. I really don't like this melting part for that reason.

I have some fun eggs coming. My first order this yr. The bantam barred rocks. They are from Dick Horstman line, so they should be nice. I love having little bantams walking around out there in there in the summer.

My little silkie was off the nest today. Still sounding broody. Then, back she went later this morning. I had brought the egg in though. If she stays broody, really broody and doesn't get off of the nest, then I'll put some chicks under her once I get these last ones of Bubba's hatched.

Not sure if I posted these here or not. The BCM started laying much earlier than I expected. I have two different lines. Now I have to separate to figure out which one these came from.

Thank you Cyn, and yes Red I am learning a lesson, or two. I don't know that Loki is fertile, but I am sure he is vatile. He sure knows how to wow the girls with that little wing flutter. ;)  So for names I've got Loki down. The one with the salmon breast is that the mother to Loki and the other hen of yours? Help me with her name, summer or winter? I am going to name the third hen Crazy Wild chicken. But I'll get her to calm down, I have the patience, at least I think I do. So if you can name them from those descriptions, I'll try to keep them straight.

I went out to chore some, and meant to do it, but ended up being an Ice Breaker. Almost got the cement pad clear and a good part of the asphalt as well. I'm a tad tired this evening, but satisfied that I was able to make a physical blow against the grasp of old man winter. :)  If I get a minute tomorrow I'll get todays chores done. That sentence seems to be the story of my life. Thank you Red for allowing me to house those fine birds, I am going to learn to love a top knot aka tuft or crest. What is the term for the crest on the hen's head?

Cynthia, do you still have snow? I am always willing to share it, but really don't like to burden folks with it. It is good to see eggs and chicks trading hands and the network working as it should. I have the grandchildren this evening, I might be back on to seek solace…

RJ

The snow is melting, yay!!! It will be messy and it's going to smell bad for a bit but I'll take it LOL! My poor girls are wearing little mud boots. I've put so much sand out there to keep it dry--but I'm going to hope this weather pattern will help get things back in order. LOVE. the. sunshine. :D :D :D

Cyn I like those BR banty birds you are going to hatch. Lisa did I see Zelda is 'gone.' And YES I am in love with the temp and the better air quality. For a while there I was thinking of getting one of those masks… and then I thought of the folks in China. What the heck, when did I move to China? I am not ok with the regional air quality at all. We got to do something and not rely on storms to clear the air .

Sid good to see you are in eggs… Bisty, you brought home a pigeon? AND a big thanks to RED for making my week.

RJ

Edit: I threw out the welcome mat for the girls today, once I cleared the ice and snow. My first upgrade of the year!

I also put in a new bale of peat moss for their bathing pleasure(s)

And watched the Toms gobble by, I am starting to see them with their tail feathers up, doing the spring strut. ALL of this hard surface was ice packed yesterday morning, one to three inches. Yuck! But I got most of her done, blister and all.

RJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom