Utah!

I’m delighted to see this thread is getting active!

I’ve recently hatched and purchased chicks to restart my flock. After a 8 month hiatus to travel full time.

Here’s some pics of the newbies, all 29!
240EDD34-F9C9-4207-9232-B46E07044A2F.jpeg

I am in Kaysville, and only a couple of months into chicken ownership. Anything I should know about raising chickens in Northern Utah summer/winter weathers?
It’s hard on birds with large single combs if you don’t heat your coop.
I never do. So some birds loose the top of their comb to frostbite. Otherwise chickens do great during the winter.

I’ve recently hatched and purchased chicks to restart my flock. After a 8 month hiatus to travel full time.

View attachment 3146875

It’s hard on birds with large single combs if you don’t heat your coop.
I never do. So some birds loose the top of their comb to frostbite. Otherwise chickens do great during the winter.
We have Rhode Island Reds and rare breed bantams (most likely barred rock and speckled sussex).

I've been considering how to better insulate the coop without reducing ventilation, so winter is on my mind. They seem to be doing alright with the heat, with plenty of shade and water to drink.

We have Rhode Island Reds and rare breed bantams (most likely barred rock and speckled sussex).

I've been considering how to better insulate the coop without reducing ventilation, so winter is on my mind. They seem to be doing alright with the heat, with plenty of shade and water to drink.
I think that’s a great place to start. You just need to keep it above freezing. Their body temps plus good insulation might very well be enough.
Mine are in a hoop coop. It has a tarp over the top to provide basic shelter from wind, rain and snow but that’s it.

I am in Kaysville, and only a couple of months into chicken ownership. Anything I should know about raising chickens in Northern Utah summer/winter weathers?
Welcome to BYC!

We had chickens for a bit, we just do ducks now, but I don’t feel like we had to do much extra for the chickens in summer and winter.

In summer I would just make sure they have some shady spots, I noticed ours would lay in the shade on hot days. And just make sure to stay on top of their water, they go through it extra fast in the heat!

I know lots of people use lights in winter for heat, we’ve never done that (I worry about the fire hazard) and they were just fine! Don’t expect eggs through winter either.

Hope this was a help!

View attachment 3146875
Well welcome back to the addiction 🤣 And high five on full time travel that’s awesome!

Cute little babes! What kind are they?

Welcome to BYC!

We had chickens for a bit, we just do ducks now, but I don’t feel like we had to do much extra for the chickens in summer and winter.

In summer I would just make sure they have some shady spots, I noticed ours would lay in the shade on hot days. And just make sure to stay on top of their water, they go through it extra fast in the heat!

I know lots of people use lights in winter for heat, we’ve never done that (I worry about the fire hazard) and they were just fine! Don’t expect eggs through winter either.

Hope this was a help!
Thank you!

Well welcome back to the addiction 🤣 And high five on full time travel that’s awesome!

Cute little babes! What kind are they?
14 Black Copper Marans from Mashburn Marans.

15 Barnyard mixes, hatched from 3 different sources here in Utah County. All different hen and rooster combinations. I lost track of who’s who during the hatch. If hens they will lay mostly brown eggs. With one or two possibly laying green.

14 Black Copper Marans from Mashburn Marans.

15 Barnyard mixes, hatched from 3 different sources here in Utah County. All different hen and rooster combinations. I lost track of who’s who during the hatch. If hens they will lay mostly brown eggs. With one or two possibly laying green.
Awesome! That’s the one thing I miss about chickens is the beautiful green and brown eggs!!

LOOKING TO BUY 1-3 BANTAMS in Northern Utah/Southern Idaho.
One of our only 2 chickens died yesterday, and our remaining hen is acting lonely and afraid. :hit She needs new friends soon!
Particularly interested in bantam Wyandottes, but could consider other bantam breeds.
If you have show-quality birds, that would be extra wonderful since I'd like to show again in future, but not necessarily required.
Would possibly like 1 rooster and 2 hens, but am open to other possibilities.
Please message me and let me know what you have.
Thank you!!
---------------------------------

Update: I have now found some chickens to buy. Thanks!

If anyone else is interested, I found a breeder of very nice

Bantam Rhode Island Reds
in Tremonton near Brigham City and Logan.
They have many show-quality birds for sale of different ages, including chicks. They said the roosters from their lines tend to be pretty mild-mannered toward people, and the hens are sweet-natured. Their prices are very good.
They have an ad on ksl right now at https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/67791060
I think they will have chickens for sale on an ongoing basis and I thought I'd pass along the info for others! If you are looking to buy some later and the ad is no longer active, send me a message and I will give you their phone number.
(The photo below is of a RIR rooster just for general illustration. It's not one of theirs.)

Attachments

• Rhode Island Red rooster.jpg
    Rhode Island Red rooster.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom